Should I get a new scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danaslc

Premium Subscriber
I have an old Pro 163. I am looking into getting a new scanner. At this point would it be worth it for me do do so? It seems I am missing things and having a hard time monitoring conversations. Also can I clone it if I decide to get a new one. I have done some research and they are saying a good choice would be the BCD396XT.

Thanks
Dana

kf7yn

Have you reprogrammed your Pro-163 for rebanding? If not, you'll miss a lot. You won't be able to clone a different scanner.

The BCD396XT is a good choice, I would also consider the BCD436HP.

danaslc

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your reply. Yes I did reband. It works well but I am wondering if jumping to the newer scanner will make hearing things that much better. I am thinking of getting the handheld and using the older for a back up.

Thanks

bbrasmussen

For a handheld I have the Uniden BC346XT and love it. There's not much digital in the area except military and HAFB and the UTTR, so you can save on purchase price if you're just interested in Public Safety and the other services outside of the military's system. That being said, I agree with Jon - either the 396 or the 436 would be great scanners if you want the digital capabilities in a hand held.

danaslc

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the help. I think I just read the 396 is not being sold anymore. These scanners move fast. Is it easier to monitor on the newer scanners? It is a lot of money to throw down if your not getting much improvement over what you already have. I can now scan all over the state if I want to. I just mostly do all of UHP, Unifed, fire ect. and I love listening in the morning during snowstorms. I can tell where the bad parts of the County and City before I leave work. The snowplow guys are pretty funny. I have also heard some terrible stuff that is sad. But I am a scanner junkie. Do you feel its worth the move to one of the newer handhelds mentioned?

bbrasmussen

Personally, unless you want to hear the HAFB stuff, and are happy with what you have, I'd go with an analog scanner. That being said, it's hard to know if you think the HAFB comms are interesting unless you listen. :)

Junior1970

If I were to upgrade my shack at this time I personally would be looking at the most up to date P25 compliant rig on the market. UCAN has already made the first step in going digital with the new site controllers they installed last fall, hence the garbled comms on some channels since. They have even said as much. Whether it would be Phase I or II is unclear but it will happen at some point....

I personally couldn't see throwing away money now for what will be a paperweight in the not too distant future. I know they are pricey and people told me years ago that I was throwing money away when I bought Pro 96's and 2096's for our area. Well years later the 93's, 94's, 95's (which I loved) and the 97's are useless for monitoring UCAN and I am listening to my 96/2096 combo, through use of Win96, today.

Just my two cents...........

Status
Not open for further replies.