Should I purchase a digital scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nixon_30

Hello everyone! I live near Gadsden, AL (area code 35903).

I am considering purchasing a new scanner and I am trying to decide if I need a digital scanner (or will need one in the near future).

I have looked at the Uniden BCD 396T and the AOR 8200 MKIII. I know these are more expensive and I do not mind paying for a good scanner but I do not wish to overpay for features I do not need.

Just to clarify, I am somewhat of a "newbie". I last owned an AOR 1000 I bought in the early 1990s and the industry has changed so much I am trying to catch up.

Any comments/suggestions from those here in the AL discussion board would be greatly appreciated.

delta_p

Most everything in that zip code looks analog in the trunked systems in the database. Looks like use some conventional too, which any radio should do well. The 396T is a great radio. If you travel some, you might want a digital to take with you. I am in Huntsville and have this radio and a BR330T. For listening in my area they both end up being the same radio as the BR330T is the 396T minus digital. The 330T is discontinued but you can still find them used, or referbished at a very good price.

PP

Last edited:

wwhitby

Feed Provider
I've been pretty happy with my PRO-96 and my PSR-500. Be warned, though, that the PRO-96 may not support rebanded Motorola 800 Mhz trunked systems. Radio Shack really hasn't come out and given a definate answer.

Warren

nixon_30

Do you have any info about who might carry new Uniden BR330T? I looked at several online sites and most say they are "out of stock" or discontinued.

One site also said there are some new, 2008 models of BR330T coming out in April '08. Also, what is a fair price for these scanners? I see them listed anywhere between $233 and $300.

delta_p said:
Most everything in that zip code looks analog in the trunked systems in the database. Looks like use some conventional too, which any radio should do well. The 396T is a great radio. If you travel some, you might want a digital to take with you. I am in Huntsville and have this radio and a BR330T. For listening in my area they both end up being the same radio as the BR330T is the 396T minus digital. The 330T is discontinued but you can still find them used, or referbished at a very good price.

PP

DARRELL

Premium Subscriber
I would go ahead and pay extra for a digital scanner to be prepared for the future. If you travel out of Gadsden much, you will find digital systems in Albertville, Birmingham, and Jefferson County. Albertville just switched to their new digital, rebanded Motorola system last week.

However, I will warn you that there are some trunk tracking issues with the BCD396T and PRO-96 with the newly rebanded Albertville system. I would not get in a hurry until I saw how the scanner manufacturers are going to handle these issues. They claim their scanners support rebanding. We will see what happens!!

I would also definitely recommend a scanner that has CTCSS and DCS squelch settings.

Darrell

delta_p

nixon_30 said:
Do you have any info about who might carry new Uniden BR330T? I looked at several online sites and most say they are "out of stock" or discontinued.

The one you saw at ScannerWorld available in April for $235 is going to be your best price new.
http://www.scannerworld.com/content/product/model/BR330T

I think they sold new 2 years ago for like $250. I paid $299 for mine about 4 months ago.

The best price I have seen is from Uniden as a referbished unit for $174 but they are out of them now on their website. I would still call just to make sure.

PP

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.