HP-2: Should I return? Is it broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wstock

I recently purchased a used uniden homepatrol-2 scanner off of ebay for $289.99. It was described as being in very good condition. The scanner looked fine, but the reception is horrible. The scanner will scan, but cuts out after a few seconds of radio action. I only live 20 minutes away from town. I have taken it into town, and the scanner is no better. Sometimes, it picks up nothing. Is this because it is used? would a new one preform any better? I have also noticed it will not charge and only works when plugged in. My main question is this: Is the scanner a dud, and should I return it and get a new one? would a new one vs a used one preform any better?

scannerjunkie

Ok. go into sentinel and create favorites lists, set preferences select service types ect. (skip this if you did it already) next in sentinel select clear user data. this I believe will wipe the unit clean and get it how it was when new in box. then at this point you can rewrite what you saved back into unit. if this don't work try using a new or known good sd card. a sd card thats on its way out can be a trouble maker. ps if you get it to work make an extra copy or 2 of sd cards and have them as back ups. hope this helps you.

Guccisock5

Feed Provider
What are you trying to pick up? Where are the towers located?

Have you replaced the batteries?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased a used uniden homepatrol-2 scanner off of ebay for $289.99. It was described as being in very good condition. The scanner looked fine, but the reception is horrible. The scanner will scan, but cuts out after a few seconds of radio action. I only live 20 minutes away from town. I have taken it into town, and the scanner is no better. Sometimes, it picks up nothing. Is this because it is used? would a new one preform any better? I have also noticed it will not charge and only works when plugged in. My main question is this: Is the scanner a dud, and should I return it and get a new one? would a new one vs a used one preform any better?
Without knowing your location, and which system you are trying to monitor, it would be difficult to give you any useful recommendations. It could be the scanner, or possibly the system you're trying to hear is simulcast.

As far as charging goes, to scan and charge at the same time, the HP-2 needs a 'smart' power adapter, capable of providing 1000mAh or more, and it should be one that indicates that capability to devices plugged into it. (The USB ports on many, especially older, PCs are only capable of providing 500mAh of power, which is insufficient to both run and charge at the same time.) Make sure whatever you are using meets that power requirement. If it does, but the scanner still will not charge (especially if it won't charge when turned off (not scanning), then the unit may be defective. Are you using the original batteries that came with it, or known good ones (new or otherwise). If the original batteries are being used, they could be past end of life, and the reason that they will not charge or operate the scanner. You can verify whether the scanner would run on batteries at all if you inserted a set of new alkalines. Of course, you should not charge them, but that could verify whether the problem is a disconnect somewhere between the battery holder and the scanner internally.

Presuming that whatever previously owned scanner, HP-2 or otherwise, is working correctly, there would be no difference in operation between a used or new scanner, other than perhaps a few scratches or scuffs on the used one.

wstock

Ok. go into sentinel and create favorites lists, set preferences select service types ect. (skip this if you did it already) next in sentinel select clear user data. this I believe will wipe the unit clean and get it how it was when new in box. then at this point you can rewrite what you saved back into unit. if this don't work try using a new or known good sd card. a sd card thats on its way out can be a trouble maker. ps if you get it to work make an extra copy or 2 of sd cards and have them as back ups. hope this helps you.

I did all of this before I started using the scanner.

What are you trying to pick up? Where are the towers located?

Have you replaced the batteries?

I am trying to pick up mostly ems, fire, and police systems. I am not sure where the towers are located, but I have taken it into the downtown area, and it doesn't really pick up anything. I have also replaced the batteries.

Without knowing your location, and which system you are trying to monitor, it would be difficult to give you any useful recommendations. It could be the scanner, or possibly the system you're trying to hear is simulcast.

As far as charging goes, to scan and charge at the same time, the HP-2 needs a 'smart' power adapter, capable of providing 1000mAh or more, and it should be one that indicates that capability to devices plugged into it. (The USB ports on many, especially older, PCs are only capable of providing 500mAh of power, which is insufficient to both run and charge at the same time.) Make sure whatever you are using meets that power requirement. If it does, but the scanner still will not charge (especially if it won't charge when turned off (not scanning), then the unit may be defective. Are you using the original batteries that came with it, or known good ones (new or otherwise). If the original batteries are being used, they could be past end of life, and the reason that they will not charge or operate the scanner. You can verify whether the scanner would run on batteries at all if you inserted a set of new alkalines. Of course, you should not charge them, but that could verify whether the problem is a disconnect somewhere between the battery holder and the scanner internally.

Presuming that whatever previously owned scanner, HP-2 or otherwise, is working correctly, there would be no difference in operation between a used or new scanner, other than perhaps a few scratches or scuffs on the used one.

I am located in Spokane WA, and the systems I am trying to monitor are mostly APCO p25 standard, and conventional systems. they are mostly fire, ems, and police.

Do you understand how to use it? Typically you don't just buy a scanner and turn it on and expect a desired result. Are you an experienced scanner user? Do you have a manual? Before returning it for a new one, a new one will still requiring some learning, understand and programming. Take your time, see what you can do.

I am very new to scanning, but the scanner I bought is a homepatrol-2. all you need to do to set it up is put in your zip code. The channels are all programmed in.

The HP2 takes a little getting used to. Scannerjunkie has good advice,
There is also a RANGE setting that if set too low will deaden reception.
Go to YouTube and search "homepatrol 2 set up" You will find some help there as well.

I have the range turned all of the way up. I am fairly sure the scanner is set up correctly.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

Do you understand how to use it? Typically you don't just buy a scanner and turn it on and expect a desired result. Are you an experienced scanner user? Do you have a manual? Before returning it for a new one, a new one will still requiring some learning, understand and programming. Take your time, see what you can do.

Station51

The HP2 takes a little getting used to. Scannerjunkie has good advice,
There is also a RANGE setting that if set too low will deaden reception.
Go to YouTube and search "homepatrol 2 set up" You will find some help there as well.

genokearney

Premium Subscriber
I've had similar problems with my new HP2. Even parked on a frequency, it comes in late on transmissions. My Hp1sitting right next to it works perfectly. I also get frequent charging errors, but it does charge. I've returned it for service and have yet to hear back.

Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.