Should I return my BC346xt for a digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nautlynch

I think I see Portland Oregon using or testing digital communications.Will my new scanner become obsolete shortly? I bought this scanner only a few days ago. The price was lowest i've seen anywhere (170.00) I couldn't resist. But now i'm thinking it was unwise.

Radioman_911

911 Dispatch & Ham Radio guy!
Premium Subscriber
It better not LOL! I just got a GRE PSR-310 and works amazing! Mostly listen to WCCCA and Clack County but either wayi hope no one in PDX area goes digital for a while!

PMJ2kx

Premium Subscriber
We're still a few years out, folks...search the forums; you'll find the multiple discussions we've already had on this topic...

kb7wox

If all else fails, should get a good price for it on portland's craigslist

nautlynch

I may just send it back because it's not user friendly for beginners and i'm getting frustrated and turned off. I don't want to hear that the bus is leaving the terminal along with a bunch of random transmissions with the audio cutting off every few seconds.

Fielder3

Premium Subscriber
Should I return my BC346xlt for a digital?

If you are looking for something simple, check out the Uniden Home Patrol scanner.
uniden home patrol 1 | eBay

Personally, I would keep what you have and find someone who can help you program it correctly. Once that is done, you'll enjoy the hobby better. We've all had "headaches" when it comes to new radios, programming, system changes, etc. I've been a "scanner head" since the late 70's, and have found that my interests in scanner radios have changed as often as the weather has! Most of us on this list have bought dozens of radios over the years. -Some easier than others :)

** You have plenty of time to enjoy the hobby in the Portland area before digital change over. You are on the right list to learn, I know I am still am!

nautlynch

Thanks Fielder3. I think i'm starting to understand the system of files. I think i've got Portland police covered and now need to start another new system for fire or some other talk group.

Does this look correct?

Attachments

• 12-23-2011 10-48-52 AM.jpg
    12-23-2011 10-48-52 AM.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 597

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
We're still a few years out, folks...search the forums; you'll find the multiple discussions we've already had on this topic...

...or months...

although the analog 800 system will remain operational until all the agencies are migrated, which will take some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.