• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Should I seal the plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fez_uk

I am planning my new install which conists of a antron 99 and a discone. (the discone is already up but I want to upgrade to a better loss coax.)

Reading the forums on a few installation posts and get confilicting answers in should I seal my connection plugs (connected to the antenna side) with tape such as self amalgamating tape ?

The discone connection will sort of be sheltered from the base of the pipe but the a99 will be slightly more exposed.

Would the connections themselfs be designed to repel water if installed correctly plan to use a pl259 on the a99 and a N-type plug on the discone or another pl259.

Thanks

Last edited:

jim202

As much fan fare as the connector companies may make about how weather proof
their connectors are, after 40 plus years in the radio field, I have learned that you
had better add additional protection beyond just the connector.

Again from field proven time, I always tell people to use a good electrical tape and
put one or two layers over the entire connector area and extend onto the coax.
Then use some form of weather seal tape or product. The new fusion self sealing
tape works well. Then another two layers of the good electrical tape over the fusion
tape.

Make sure that you have a slight overlap of the tape from each wrap around the
connector. This insures a good seal.

Reason for the first layer of electrical tape on the connector is to be able to remove
the weather sealing if you ever have to open the connector down the road. If you
apply the fusion tape or duct seal type of weather seal right onto the connector,
you will never be able to use the connector again. It is very hard to get this junk
off the threads and connector surface. The electrical tape allows you to just
peal the whole mess off after a careful slice with a sharp knife. Be careful not
to cut the coax jacket.

Jim

fez_uk said:
I am planning my new install which conists of a antron 99 and a discone. (the discone is already up but I want to upgrade to a better loss coax.)

Reading the forums on a few installation posts and get confilicting answers in should I seal my connection plugs (connected to the antenna side) with tape such as self amalgamating tape ?

The discone connection will sort of be sheltered from the base of the pipe but the a99 will be slightly more exposed.

Would the connections themselfs be designed to repel water if installed correctly plan to use a pl259 on the a99 and a N-type plug on the discone or another pl259.

Thanks

fineshot1

I usually seal it up on the antenna connector - i use the layer method.

Tape - Taffy - Tape

One layer of electrical tape. This layer keeps the taffy from sticking to the conn & cable.

One lite layer of taffy(inside the pipe it may need to be extra thin layer as there
is not much room in the pipe).

One layer of tape tightly wound around the taffy to make it oooze out as its being wound
around the taffy. You can trim any extra taffy ooozing out.

If you ever need to go back into these layers use a sharp knife and cut through the
layers till you reach the first tape layer. Then peel the first layer out and it all comes
off the cable & conn in almost one peice and reduces the sticky taffy mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.