Should i sell my 396T??

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenstuffs

I've got a 396T for couple months, i was thinking about getting rid of the current one and may be put the funds towards a new scanner or a PSR-500.
I'm not quite happy with the digital performance of the 396T so i may have to do it anyways.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It depends on what you're looking for. For example I'm in a semi urban area, with lots of pagers and other junk around me. My 396 doesn't burp in these areas - if I had gotten a PSR500, there's a good chance I'd need to add some filters. I'm not that critical when it comes to digital audio recovery, where the 500 is supposed to be better.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. 73 Mike

Tom_G

THE PSR-500 has excellent audio.
The digital audio is very smooth and its enjoyable to listen to.
The GRE radios are very sensitive so they tend to work very well for people who are NOT in high RF areas. Mine work very well even inside an office building.

If you are in "RF Hell" or close to a major city, the 396 may be a good choice for you.

Deeke

I can't speak for the 396 or the 500 per se but, i can for the 996 and 600.. I sold my 996 and got a 600.
After a month i sold it and went back to the 996. Both are fine radios and both program a little different.
I went back to the 996 because i use more features ie quick search freqs and tg's. I'm about to get another 600 because i need the faster scan rate on some systems. Ideally i would want both combined into one but, there is no ideal world.
If you use alot of features on the 396, you'll probably want it back. Then again you may love the 500 and grow to dislike the 396. Catch 22 if you ask me they REALLY can't be compared unless both have the same functions.
If it's paid for and you can afford it later get the 500 to complement the 396 and vise versa.

Just my 1/2 cent worth.

ryablans

Hi!

I have a pro-96,396 and psr-500.

The PSR uses object oriented programming so it is quite different from the
Uniden format. But if you have the 396t down then it doesn't take much time
to figure it out. Especially if you have ever programmed and used a Pro-96.

The 396 has lousy P25 decode and intelligibility in my opinion compared even
to the Pro-96. It has good EDACS audio quality however-

The 396 has the size advantage.

I'd keep it as a backup and still buy the 500. If I had experience with all of them
before ever plunking down the cash. I would opt for the pro-96 or 500 over the
396 at least in terms of the audio quality.

Cheers
BOB

trixwagen

Maybe I'm just poor, but I always sell a scanner when I've replaced it with a "better" one.

Yeah, whatever, you can never have too many scanners, but having several hundred dollars tied up in a scanner that I am not using doesn't jibe with me.

robocop80

BCD 396t

I would get rid of the scanner and sell it to me. lol!! No but if you are interested in getting rid of the scanner send me a pm and let me know how much you want to sell for. I know this is not the forum for this but since it was mentioned I am replying.

Thanks

greenstuffs

Thank you all for the input. I really appreciate it. The only reason i'm leaning towards the 396T is because it's size i love it being so small and great EDACS with slight support for P25 which seems perfect for Oklahoma since most agencies are still using trunking systems. I just wanted to try something new like the PSR-500 or may be another scanner.

Last edited:

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for the input. I really appreciate it. The only reason i'm leaning towards the 396T is because it's size i love it being so small and great EDACS with slight support for P25 which seems perfect for Oklahoma since most agencies are still using trunking systems. I just wanted to try something new like the PSR-500 or may be another scanner.

I don't think it's really fair to say it has "slight support for P25". Seems as if Uniden is working hard to get the problems it may have worked out. On another note I have talked to owners of the 396 and most say it is a very fine radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.