Should I the noise mitigation part on a new SDS200?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shansen1785

So I just got an SDS-200 factory sealed from HRO. I saw Uniden has a free noise mitigation part you can get from the online store. its called the

NMP200 Noise Mitigation for SDS200 .Would it be worth it to install it on a new 2020 SDS200 since it was sent free anyway? I havent used the scanned enough to know if it has the hum. But just was curious if it would help anything else and be worth the 10min of work and free part ya know?

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
So I just got an SDS-200 factory sealed from HRO. I saw Uniden has a free noise mitigation part you can get from the online store. its called the

NMP200 Noise Mitigation for SDS200 .Would it be worth it to install it on a new 2020 SDS200 since it was sent free anyway? I havent used the scanned enough to know if it has the hum. But just was curious if it would help anything else and be worth the 10min of work and free part ya know?
Most likely the mitigation part is already installed in your scanner. I would give it some more time.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
I bought my SDS200 before they were originally shipped (pre-ordered) and released and I got mine almost instantly when they were finally released in February 2019 I believe it was. I was living so close to the Arlington trucking company that carried the new the scanners out to the various sellers and companies that they just shipped it directly to me rather than to the online seller I bought it from and then right back down here where they were being shipped from. So it was definitely one of the first units received If not the first maybe? I know there were two or three people they did this with and these were the first units from the original stock that Uniden sold.

I've never noticed the humming problem with mine but I do wonder if it may be something in the future that could occur. I've heard of the free part that Uniden would send out but this was after it had already apparently been out for a while. I'm legally blind and I did not find where to contact Uniden on the part or what the name/ part number of it even was. I know that my warranty, the one year warranty, has come and gone at this point but is there a way I might still get this part just in case I need it in the future?

Does anybody have a link to the web page or location to find this information and request getting the small part to address the hum issue. I'm hoping I never have to worry about it but I don't want to miss out on having that part just in case I do need it. Any help on locating it, what they call it, and where I could check on getting it would be greatly appreciated.

Brian (COMMSCAN)
Fort Worth, Texas

Message sent using Google Voice to Text.

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
You can order the noise mitigation part directly from Uniden at this link:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It already has that installed if it's a new scanner, so it's pointless to order another.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
It already has that installed if it's a new scanner, so it's pointless to order another.

While that's true for units being sold now, in letarotor's case, he has one of the early production units, as do I. I ordered the NMP200, but at this point, my SDS200 has not developed a hum, so I have not felt the need to install it.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yep it is a sticky in Uniden tech support thread called my SDS 200 hum fix by the member who developed the fix named StaticDischarge. Brilliant guy and the name of the fix is called StaticDischarge fix.

gtaman

I’d say the hardest thing is keeping dust out of the back side of the display. It’s was pretty easy to take the lacquer off. It doesn’t look pretty but damn it easily made it 95 less noisy. Very very very faintly you can still hear it.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Put blue masking tape on the LCD and the inside of the bezel while you have it apart, and leave it on until the last possible moment during reassembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.