Should I use multiple ucan site control freqs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mostler

Hi, I am new to scanning and have a new GRE PSR-300. I have updated the 800mhz table and it is working great. I live in Davis County. I entered the control frequencies based on the Davis County entries in the database. I see that there are other control channels for other counties. Because its simulcast I can hear SLCounty and Weber County traffic. Do I need to enter control frequencies for Weber and Salt Lake Counties as well. I also see entries for sites on some of the peaks close to my house. Should they be used as well or do I just need the single control freq and its alternates ???

walld13

scanning

if i was you i would be careful as to how many trunking sites i would put in one object at a time it could be confused and not scan right i would all so put each diferent simo in its onw object ie salt lake weber davis in it own object and the talk groups there is somthing called a wild card as well but i am not to familer with that

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
So I think this really depends on what you want to hear and if you are stationary or mobile...

I have two different virtual scanner (profiles) that I use in my PSR-500. One has just Site 3 for Salt Lake County and this is the one that I run the vast majority of the time. If I am going to travel outside the county I load up the other virtual scanner. This one contains the Control Channels for surrounding counties and the ones that I am most likely to travel to. Then I put my scanner in a roaming mode so it will automatically associate with various control channels as I travel around.

N7YUO

Programming advice

I've been scanning some 41 years. Been scanning these trunked systems since 2000.
I've tried it both ways, and my advice is to not use multi-site trunking. I think the best way to program your scanner is by area. Usually, this means by county, but a county like Salt Lake has so much activity, that I have to break it up. This is how I do it:
Every scanlist has the common TGRPs: LZ1, LZ2, Events, Regionals.
Scanlist 1 is SL Sheriff & UHP, and the local Fire TGs. SL Simul is the site.
Scanlist 2 is SL City TGRPs, AC33 is the site. I also have UHP on SL Simul site
Scanlist 3 has all the other jurisdictions in SL County: S Salt Lake, W Valley, etc.
Scanlist 4 covers Davis County. Davis Simul is the site.
Scanlist 5 covers Hill AFB, using their site
Scanlist 6 covers Weber County, Weber Simul is the site.
Scanlist 7 covers Box Elder County, mostly conventional
Scanlist 8 covers Tooele and Summit/Wasatch counties. Lots of sites.
Scanlist 9 covers Utah county, Utah Co Simul is the site.

When I travel to Evanston or Wendover, I have every site along the way. The scanner locks onto the strongest (Usually closest) site. When terrain blocks the signal, the scanner seeks a new control channel. This works well for the I-80 corridor.

If you try this from Davis County, your scanner may lock onto SL Simul, and when you want to hear the action at something like the Silver Eagle Refinery, you won't hear a thing because the scanner is listening "Out of county"

Status
Not open for further replies.