Should My Next Scanner Be A Uniden BCD436/536HP Or A Whistler TRX-1/2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I have tried searching for this, but I must not be doing something right, because I am not finding quite what I am looking for so far. Anyway, I am, or at least will be soon, looking for a new scanner. I am trying to decide between the Uniden BCD436/536HP Or Whistler TRX-1/2. I have been dragging my feet intentionally to see if a clear winner emerges.

Here are the features that most interest me. I want good DMR performance, since that is the new game in town right now. Is there a clear winner yet on DMR performance? With the Connect Plus and Capacity Plus and other variants, is Uniden and Whistler roughly the same on DMR?

The other huge issue for me is simulcast P25 trunked performance. I am in Minnesota and listen to ARMER. ARMER can be a challenge to listen to. I do have a Unication G5, which performs very well on ARMER. However, there still are times that I like to use a scanner to monitor for TRUNK SEARCH mode, listening to other sub-systems, etc. I have read a few posts from people that have BOTH Uniden and Whistler and listen on simulcast systems. While there certainly are conflicting reports, it seems as if more Whistler users are saying that there radios performs better on simulcast systems.

Feature wise, Uniden has Fire Tone Out and Whlstler does not. That really isn't debatable. What is debatable is the usefulness of the feature. I have it on my Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT. While I don't use it currently, I have used it in the past.

Whistler has stated they will have NXDN in the future. Has Uniden been silent on that issue? While I have no idea how much I will use NXDN, it is always interesting to explore new digital modes.

One of the other issues for me is upfront costs and additional costs. Uniden wants additional money for additional features. Whistler will have free upgrades.

I am also interested in the issue of computer control. I have always liked using Butel with my Uniden and other scanners in the past. I particularly enjoy looking at the History Log to see what trunked talkgroups and conventional frequencies were in use. Will the Whislter software only program the radio or will it also allow computer control?

In the end, I might end up having to get BOTH a Whistler AND a Uniden! So, perhaps the question I should ask is, which do I buy first? Maybe I will need a Uniden BCD536HP for the house, connected to a PC, for unattended logging, and a Whistler TRX-1 for use in the car!

D

darunimal

If you wait for the firmware to mature on both Makes and all 4 Models, you'll have a more fair comparison until then it's just speculative speculation.

Your want list is grandeur than one scanner can handle at any one time, so as one reply already suggested, all 5 items, including the G5 are your answer.

I know you like asking questions but asking loaded ones will get you loaded answers, so first buy one your most comfortable using the search in the previously posted thread for you answers; if you do the leg work, we will follow your review in 12-15 months, when, you've had proper time, to answer, your own questions.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
PV, Not with Whislter

I have tried searching for this, but I must not be doing something right, because I am not finding quite what I am looking for so far. Anyway, I am, or at least will be soon, looking for a new scanner. I am trying to decide between the Uniden BCD436/536HP Or Whistler TRX-1/2. I have been dragging my feet intentionally to see if a clear winner emerges.

Here are the features that most interest me. I want good DMR performance, since that is the new game in town right now. Is there a clear winner yet on DMR performance? With the Connect Plus and Capacity Plus and other variants, is Uniden and Whistler roughly the same on DMR?

The other huge issue for me is simulcast P25 trunked performance. I am in Minnesota and listen to ARMER. ARMER can be a challenge to listen to. I do have a Unication G5, which performs very well on ARMER. However, there still are times that I like to use a scanner to monitor for TRUNK SEARCH mode, listening to other sub-systems, etc. I have read a few posts from people that have BOTH Uniden and Whistler and listen on simulcast systems. While there certainly are conflicting reports, it seems as if more Whistler users are saying that there radios performs better on simulcast systems.

Feature wise, Uniden has Fire Tone Out and Whlstler does not. That really isn't debatable. What is debatable is the usefulness of the feature. I have it on my Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT. While I don't use it currently, I have used it in the past.

Whistler has stated they will have NXDN in the future. Has Uniden been silent on that issue? While I have no idea how much I will use NXDN, it is always interesting to explore new digital modes.

One of the other issues for me is upfront costs and additional costs. Uniden wants additional money for additional features. Whistler will have free upgrades.

I am also interested in the issue of computer control. I have always liked using Butel with my Uniden and other scanners in the past. I particularly enjoy looking at the History Log to see what trunked talkgroups and conventional frequencies were in use. Will the Whislter software only program the radio or will it also allow computer control?

In the end, I might end up having to get BOTH a Whistler AND a Uniden! So, perhaps the question I should ask is, which do I buy first? Maybe I will need a Uniden BCD536HP for the house, connected to a PC, for unattended logging, and a Whistler TRX-1 for use in the car!

I own a 436HP and GRE PSR 500. I have used the PSR 500 on the system you are referencing and I experienced a great deal of simulcast distortion. Reportedly, the Whistler model has "improved P25 function"; however, I've never observed one working on a system with pronounced simulcast distortion;therefore, I cannot really say.

If you have any EDACS ProVoice systems in the area, the Uniden 436/536 HP are the only two that receive PV. Also, these Uniden models will likely be getting DMR upgrades soon. I don't know if this will eventually include NXDN.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.