Should RadioReference have a dedicated military radio forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
.mil radios are enough of their own special breed that I think it'd make sense for them to have their own subforum. Harris? Motorola? Thales? I know there are other makers as well. And your typical brand-specific enthusiast is unlikely to know much about mil com products.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
We don't have a dedicated mil comms subforum. Where would you suggest we discuss that topic? I'm open to suggestions.

Maybe we could use that subforum.

For "mil comms", we have:

Or do you want a military radio hardware catagory?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Sorry guys but a dedicated forum just for discussing military radios is highly unlikely. Harris radios can go in the Harris forum, Motorola in the Motorola forum, etc. Anything else can go in Industry Discussion.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
All we can do is ask. Leave the decision up to the staff. I'd say that a .mil radio forum should be open to any radio that has a military format identifier on it such as AN/PRC...anything. New or ancient, it's all good.

Looking through the subforum list, it's certainly not any more obscure than some of our subforum topics we already have.

The South and Central America subforum has TWO....I say again....TWO threads in it! If that earns its keep then a .mil radio subforum is certainly likely to be at least as worthy.

prcguy

So if I want to report that my Cincinnati Electronics PRC-70 squelch works better than a Cubic R3050 or Collins 851S-1 for monitoring 11.175MHz USB it should go in the Industry Discussion? Or if I want to mention my Raytheon PSC-5 picks out distant UHF military aircraft better than a R/S Pro-2006 it should go in the Industry Discussion?? Or if I want to tell people I will have the 150Hz tone turned off on my Associated Industries PRC-77 when calling CQ this weekend on 6m from my announced SOTA location and to listen with your military radios in noise squelch mode it should go in the Industry Discussion area??? What if someone needs help programming their Daytron VHF lo handheld for CHP freqs, does that go in the Industry Discussion area????

Sorry guys but a dedicated forum just for discussing military radios is highly unlikely. Harris radios can go in the Harris forum, Motorola in the Motorola forum, etc. Anything else can go in Industry Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.