• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Show your favourate budget everyday carry HHT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennifer_A

Hmmm so what is your favourate low budget everyday carry HHT?
Mine is my Retevis RT87.
I am quite fond of my RT87, it turned out to be a nicer radio than I thought.
5w, analog, dual band, 136-174MHz, 400-480MHz
1.2AH 7.4v li-ion battery
128 channel capacity
VFO and Memory mode
DTMF
Sidetone
STE
Frequency reverse
IP67 water proof
RT87_6.jpg

Jennifer_A

Motorola is top quality for sure. $50 is a great price, cheaper than my RT87 🙂👍
The most expensive model i have is a Anytone D878UV+.

N4KVE

Bought it at a ham fest. The seller was in the 2-way business, & I guess he took in a bunch on trade. I looked through his tub for the cleanest one, paid him, & ran to my friend’s trailer to program, & test it. It couldn’t bring up the repeater, so I brought it back. He said to just grab another one. Seeing as I had bad luck lucking for the cleanest one, I looked for a beat one. Programmed it, & it’s been working perfectly for over 2 years.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
My favorite portable is the Yaesu FT- 65... dual band 5 watt, built like a tank, I replaced the rubber duck with a comet sma 24... great performer for an everyday carry radio... Bob.

Jennifer_A

Hi Bob
Your Yaesu looks like like a great radio!
And its Japanese quality too which is way better than my Chinese model :)(y)

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The Yaesu FT-65 is made in China. How much influence Yaesu had in the design or has in the manufacturing is a matter of speculation.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Hi Bob
Your Yaesu looks like like a great radio!
And its Japanese quality too which is way better than my Chinese model :)(y)
Some of them are actually made in China but to the strict specifications of Yaesu and with the same great quality. Apparently the only sma Connections in China available are the reverse ones that the cheap Chinese radios use, it also has the cheesy flashlight, what's important is the performance oh, great speaker and microphone.

Only drawback is it cannot be run on AC so I had to purchase another battery, it does come with a drop-in charger. It only cost $125 for the radio!

Jennifer_A

Oh yes I had forgotten everything is manufactured in China the last 5 or 10 years. I did not think the Japanese stuff would be manufactured in China though but that is not surprising to hear. But still as you said the quality can be very good as long as the quality is specified for manufacturing.
One thing I would REALLY like is if the industry would adopt the practice to do away with charging cradles and put a micro usb port in the battery for charging.
I have a usb 5v-12v converter cable that i use on all my radio chargers. The manufacturers can supply a cable like this with micro usb connecter with the radio for models that use a 7.4v battery.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
My current HT that is in my work backpack is Alinco DJ-G7T. It's not the cheapest HT, but it's the least expensive one I own. It is a bit more sturdy than the D74, and a I don't feel as bad if it gets banged up a bit, plus it is IPX7 which should cover any rain intrusion since the radio is in a water bottle pocket open to the elements. It's enough to cover most situations and all the ARES frequencies used by our county.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Jennifer, I just realized you were looking for a photo when you said "show"... I leave the adapter on the radio to attach a pl259... Constant changing of antennas can wear that pin down and affect performance.PSX_20210729_095325.jpg

PACNWDude

878 6550.PNG
My go to handheld used to be a used XPR6550 Trbo UHF handheld, like others on here as well, with a new case to make it look a little nicer. However, promiscuous mode has me carrying the Anytone AT-D878UV more and more now. Great little radio, much easier to program for amateur bands as it does not require hex editing, and is still built well enough to survive the drops and being thrown in the bag with the Motorola.

Jennifer_A

View attachment 107207
My go to handheld used to be a used XPR6550 Trbo UHF handheld, like others on here as well, with a new case to make it look a little nicer. However, promiscuous mode has me carrying the Anytone AT-D878UV more and more now. Great little radio, much easier to program for amateur bands as it does not require hex editing, and is still built well enough to survive the drops and being thrown in the bag with the Motorola.
Motorola is top quality.
With the exchange rate it is just way too expensive here, especially for me who only play with radios as a hobby however the cheap Chinese radios don't do too bad, some better than others but i have been fortunate to sniff out the better ones.
I too have a Anytone D878UV+ (my most expensive radio)
Its a really nice radio. I do not use it much as it is heavy and bulky but very nice radio :)(y)

Status
Not open for further replies.