• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Show your favourate budget everyday carry HHT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennifer_A

Are most CCRs Baofeng based? I am looking and they are pretty much the same.
I have a set of Retevis RT87 and its a nice compact little everyday radio plus its IP67 water proof. Range is also really good. I think it is better quality than Baofeng and looks a lot nicer. Normally $77 but on mid year sale at $45 currently.

danesgs

Lots to choose from nowadays. Some very fine radios that are Chinese made or as I prefer to say, offshore. But the past knocking of Baofeng will continue for a number of reasons. Most all Ham radios in the past 40 years have been made overseas. Either in Japan or China and imported to the USA. I could be wrong but perhaps there is a US company still making HAM radios, not just QRP CW rigs. While we bicker about CCR radios, they keep getting better and we will keep buying them. I wish the US would show HAM radio is something to make here and be proud of. Heathkit comes to mind but thats damn near 60 years ago.

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
I love my Yaesu FT60Rs. Just analog. I have 5 of them. Full 108MHz - 999.995MHz less cellular; selectable am/fm. Great rxvr for civil/milair. Built like a brick. Has 10 separate programming banks for specific use of services. 1,000 standard memories, 5 vfo home channels, 50 sets of band scan edge memories. The only drawback is the side mic jack - the mic plug does come out of the jack at times - but I have radio pouches for all mine which keeps the mic plug fully seated.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Are most CCRs Baofeng based? I am looking and they are pretty much the same.
Let's say you want to go into the business of marketing and selling radios. Let's say you have no in-house radio design or manufacturing expertise. So, you go to someone, like Baofeng, who has the expertise in both design and production. You can ask Baofeng to develop a whole new radio for you (expensive) or you can ask for certain modifications to Baofeng's basic design (much less expensive). Those modifications may consist of simply putting your name on Baofeng's standard UV-5R. Either way, the radio has your name on it and you can market it as you see fit.

Most of the cheap, Chinese radios are based on the same "radio on a chip". These are micro-electronic devices that will accept a received RF signal and demodulate it down to audio. Or, they take a series of commands (what frequency, which modulation) and generate a low-level RF signal that is then amplified for transmission. These radios on a chip are not inherently bad, but they do require some external signal processing and they require a microprocessor to run the user interface and tell the radio on a chip what to do. The cheapest of CCRs leave out a lot of external processing (to save money) and the user interface leaves a lot to be desired for native English speakers.

Note that the Yaesu FT-4 and FT-65 are radio-on-a-chip radios. Some say that they use the same chip as the Baofengs. I can say from personal experience that the Yaesus do not produce the same level of spurious emissions that the Baofengs did a few years ago. And, the Yaesu user interface is a little better and better explained in the manual that the Baofengs. My point being that radios on a chip are not all bad.

Listen365

Premium Subscriber
AK9R, thank you for your assistance in understanding these radios. I am just now studying for my ham radio license. I am in the market for a dependable radio that is not expensive.

Listen365

Premium Subscriber
I have a set of Retevis RT87 and its a nice compact little everyday radio plus its IP67 water proof. Range is also really good. I think it is better quality than Baofeng and looks a lot nicer. Normally $77 but on mid year sale at $45 currently.
Thank you for your advice I will look into the Retevis radios.

mbnv992

I think I have a Motorola problem. And this isn’t even all of my collection haha

Believe it or not, the Sp50 being a dime a dozen now, has been a fantastic little GMRS radio. The Sp50 is one radio I bought new when it came out in the mid 1990’s. Now I have about 5 of them alone. One is a VHF DTMF 10 channel model that is practically brand new never used in the field.
C63ECE31-9610-48BA-B641-ACF15FF17E20.jpeg

rescuecomm

Used those in a work place back in the late 90's. They were later replaced by Vertex handhelds. Getting the young guys to keep the radios on them was a problem at first. Then the site safety/environmental manager ruled that without a radio, you had to evacuate the buildings on a fire alarm with the common folk. That did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.