• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Show your favourate budget everyday carry HHT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennifer_A

I think the UV-5R is the most sold and most owned radio in the world and the most liked with the largest fan and owner base.
My friend also has one and many other people who do prepping.
Tried, tested and proven :) (y)

Jennifer_A

Anytone AT D878 when I get it back from Bridgecom. Otherwise a Baofeng UV82-WP with a 701 antenna. I have Icom F3061 and F4061 radios but don't fool with them unless I know I'm using GMRS or other.
Touchwood my D878UV+ is still working well (except for gps, takes forever to find a sattellite) but its a nice radio and works well. Just heavy and bulky which is why i don't use it often.
I also have a small collection of radios, too many. I decided i have enough and not buying more.

Jennifer_A

Propper old school radios when stuff were still built to last :) (y)
I have a set of GP680's that i inherited but the batteries need replacement.

Jennifer_A

This is a nice radio at a great price and awesome to receive the programming cable and a spare battery included :) (y)
I have a set of R2's from Radiodity.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Yaesu VX-3R fits the criteria for me. The chassis is around 3x2x1 inches and it weighs just a few ounces. The factory antenna for this radio is actually good. It performs and sweeps well on VHF/UHF, for a stubby antenna. The radio puts out 1.5W on VHF and 1W UHF. That’s plenty for my area, as we are rich with repeaters 3500’ and higher above the valley floor. I also use it with nearby low level repeaters. The low setting is 0.1W, but that has some noise into the repeaters.

I also enjoy it as an AM/FM radio. It is crazy small and easily fits into a shirt pocket.

Yaesu-VX-3R.jpg

Jennifer_A

Thats a really compact little radio.
I love it.
I wish manufacturers would also focus on compact radios with all the functions of larger radios such as decent screen, decent battery capacity, decent transmit power and all the other usual functions/settings.
Its really hard to find a compact model with propper specifications.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I wish manufacturers would also focus on compact radios with all the functions of larger radios such as decent screen, decent battery capacity, decent transmit power and all the other usual functions/settings. Its really hard to find a compact model with propper specifications.
I wish any manufacture could put all the functions of the larger handheld radio into a compact size like the VX3R as well, but that is asking too much. When I need a decent screen, battery, transmit power and all the extras I use a Yaesu FT3DR. Its chassis is still quite small at 3.94 x 2.44 x 1.28 inches and it is feature rich, but it may not fall under the "budget" guideline.

PACNWDude

Yaesu VX-3R fits the criteria for me. The chassis is around 3x2x1 inches and it weighs just a few ounces. The factory antenna for this radio is actually good. It performs and sweeps well on VHF/UHF, for a stubby antenna. The radio puts out 1.5W on VHF and 1W UHF. That’s plenty for my area, as we are rich with repeaters 3500’ and higher above the valley floor. I also use it with nearby low level repeaters. The low setting is 0.1W, but that has some noise into the repeaters.

I also enjoy it as an AM/FM radio. It is crazy small and easily fits into a shirt pocket.

Yaesu-VX-3R.jpg
+1 on this. I still have a VX-2R and VX-3R that used to be used often, but they were too small, battery wise and power output to keep taking with me. However, I managed to wear out the VX-2R and several rebuild kits Yaesu sold me, parts from returned broken units. Then I replaced it with a VX-3R, wore that out, and they are now display radios, but would most likely still work with new batteries. I then bought a Yaesu VX-6R, but do end up carrying a Motorola XPR6550 and Anytone 878+ now. Tough and small little Yaesu's work well for every day use and carry.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber

Yaesu-VX-3R.jpg
I agree. I've had my VX-3 for almost 10 years and it's always worked like a charm.

I also use an Anytone 3318UVA tri-band that I've had for several years. I dumped all the Beofengs.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Another like about the VX3R is the NB-8L battery is also used for various cameras. This means one can easily find two batteries including an AC/DC charger for under $15 from eBay to Amazon. That equates to a lot of radio time. Still, I have observed 900 to 1800 mAh battery specs which is wonky. The original Yaesu battery noted 1000 mAh, so one should figure that and any more as a bonus, although I am doubtful.

Another option is the AA FBA-37 battery case, which is nice as one could use 2500 mAh rechargeable batteries. Still, I am doubtful the aftermarket versions use a blocking diode. In fact, I am unsure if the Yaesu version does either as I just use the NB-8L. The AA battery case of course adds to the bulk/weight. It is interesting that with external DC power the watts double providing 3 dB gain! Blasting the RF! :D

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
++Everything said about the VX-3R. I'm so glad I got one before they were discontinued. It's also a very good VHF airband scanner. The function that allows you to scan channels with alpha tags matching the 1st one or 2 characters is quite an innovative feature.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I think the Yaesu VX-3R has been discontinued but I wanted to see what they're going for. Found one on eBay for $544, straight from Japan. I've paid less for a car in years past.

Listen365

Premium Subscriber
Are most CCRs Baofeng based? I am looking and they are pretty much the same.

danesgs

Are most CCRs Baofeng based? I am looking and they are pretty much the same.
Yes and no. Of late some are redesigned UV-5R's but with improvements in emissions, and having other enhancements. The CCR radios of 10 years ago are mostly gone except maybe the 23-30 dollar Amazon/Ebay ones. Today you can get a radio under 100.00 dollars that is very good to be a replacement radio or go kit radio. You have to do your homework. There are so many variations of the 5R including the BF-R3 tri-band that does 220 but is still basically a 5R but better. Other radios from Radioodity and Retrivis are much better builds and have internal changes to components that no longer make them Cheap Chinese Radios. But still, if you want to spend 400.00 on a handheld the Icom, Yaesu or Kenwood is going to have lots of added features and digital modes and a better reputation. Personally, I can live with a 60.00 radio that is somewhat waterproof, puts out a solid 8 watts and only has 128 channels for EDC use. Spending 4 to 5 hundred dollars on an HT is better spent on saving for a great HF radio or a Xiegu G90, or other stuff. IMO

KJ4DGE

Status
Not open for further replies.