Showing up on Brandmiester but not being heard

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dtx-120

Hello all,
I'm connecting via repeater to talkgroups with good signal strength, my transmit logs are registering on Brandmiester but other parties are not hearing me, nor can I hear myself on Hoseline. My handset is an MD-380. Any thoughts?

w2xq

Mentor
I would recheck the codeplug's channel information sheets. If you want to post a ZIP file after doing so, I will look at it. No promises though.

D

dtx-120

Hello, thank you for taking an interest. I've attached the file, my dmr ID and call sign have removed. Tytoolz is the firmware I have loaded on the radio.

Attachments

• md-380_2019-01-19_scrubbed.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

w2xq

Mentor
Sorry to say but I can't even begin to answer your original question. I believe your codeplug is lacking a proper construct. Numerous "pieces" seem to be missing. Let me illustrate.

A codeplug should contain contacts, channels and zone lists.

For each repeater (I assume you are not using a hotspot) with Brandmeister talkgroups, there should be a channel information sheet. Here is how l laid out mine in a spreadsheet to organize my thinking. Talkgroups down the left side, repeaters across the top.

The second image is part of a larger channel information page. Note that the abbreviation "Ch..." is Charlestown, "Cor..." for Corbin City. There is one channel sheet for each talkgroup. Note there are 9 talkgroups (TGs) for "Ch..." Charlestown. The 9 TGs make up 1 Zone List. The 9 TGs for "Cor..." make up another Zone List.

What to do? My recommendation would be to read KE0FHS's DMR series starting with Amateur radio: DMR - 3 and follow the steps carefully. (Of all the how-to writings found on the web, I believe Toshen's to be the best.) I suggest you do so with a new, empty, codeplug rather than try to repair the one you shared with me.

You may find the CSV export functionality within N0GSG DMR Contact Manager Support Page to be helpful. You can open a codeplug, export its contents and look at it in a spreadsheet. Please be sure to read the PDF manual first.

I recognize this "answer" isn't what you were expecting, but I hope it helps a bit in getting you on the right path.

I have other DMR links on my website at Amateur Radio that may help in the future.

Screenshot_20190119-231044_Sheets.jpgScreenshot_20190119-231425_Sheets.jpg

Last edited:
D

dtx-120

Thank you for the in-depth reply and yes, I'm going through a repeater and not a hotspot. I'm familiar with writing a full and complete code plug as you have illustrated and have used one like that, but my results have been the same (not being heard for someone to respond). With all due respect, If I can connect to a talkgroup, and can receive audio and my Tx is showing up on BM lastheard page, then the radio is successfully interacting with the repeater. I'm wondering if this issue is specific to the MD-380 or do I not have the correct settings employed (i.e. admit/in call criteria, etc.). I will however review the information you have kindly provided and have uploaded a more traditionally written codeplug for your review. The "675" channels in the channel list, is the repeater I'm going through and below is a link to the repeater information.

LaPlace 442.67500 KD5CQA Louisiana Repeater

Thanks,

/dtx

Attachments

• imported-fixed-no-id.zip
    3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

w2xq

Mentor
Your codeplug was missing channel information entries that I would expect to find (or I misunderstood the data I was looking at). I didn't see a simplex frequency used by the MD-380 transceiving with the hotspot, thus my incorrect assumption of no hotspot. Nor did I see zone lists I would expect.

On my website I have links to 9 codeplug sources. After Toshen's material, about the only thing I can suggest is grab a few sample codeplugs and have a look.

I confess that I don't understand how the radio can communicate with Brandmeister. I would be interested in how you get it all working.

Do you use Repeaterbook.com - Home to identify the TGs on the repeaters accessible in your area?

Sorry I failed on your puzzlement. Your radio is identical in form factor and electronic design to my dual band MD-UV380. I am at a loss, but I look at it as an opportunity to learn.

D

dtx-120

Your codeplug was missing channel information entries that I would expect to find (or I misunderstood the data I was looking at). I didn't see a simplex frequency used by the MD-380 transceiving with the hotspot, thus my incorrect assumption of no hotspot. Nor did I see zone lists I would expect.

Actually the MD-389/390 are superheterodyne transceivers and the UV models use direct conversion.

On the MD-380, receive groups are not needed (and with hacked firmware) contact lists are not needed (of course, it's useful to have the contacts programmed, but not required). The firmware for the UV380 has features the MD-380 does not, and the hacked firmware extends the capabilities of the MD-380 with enhanced features.

Yes, I do go to repeaterbook.com to find the talkgroups and the time slot they are on..

For example in the first code plug I sent you (the one with just two channels per repeater), if I know what talkgroup is on what time slot (from repeaterbook.com), then I switch to the channel I have programmed for that time slot, then I can go into another menu and set the talkgroup.

If the talkgroup is a PTT talkgroup, I key down once to activate it. Key down a 2nd time and talk, then I will receive the audio from whomever is talking on that talkgroup.

If the talkgroups are always on, and not PTT, then I will receive the audio on that channel.

Now with promiscuous mode enabled (i.e. monitoring mode), then I will receive all audio from any active talkgroup on that time slot on that particular repeater.

The second code plug I sent you is a more traditional one with the more recognizable information. I'm considering selling the radio, so in the first codeplug, I left Simples and FRS/GMRS channels and some DMR repeater channels with time slots to give it one last try.

/dtx

Last edited:

w2xq

Mentor
No Tools-whatever are available for the MD-UV380 and my guess is there won't be. I have only seen a 380/Tools screen in passing at a local get-together. The UV380 is no longer shown on the TYT Electronics Co., Ltd. website. And the tools implementation explains why the codeplug looked so strange to me. But I'm happy with the radio and when it dies I'll probably look at the latest Anytone 888, 898, whatever. :)

Just to put a wrap on this from my persepective. Using a spreadsheet with tabs for contacts, channels and zones plus the repeater timeslots (above) helped me noodle out the organization and the building of my codeplug. I am totally comfortable with spreadsheets (started with VisiCalc in 1979), and it helps me sort things out.

D

dtx-120

Thanks, I appreciate your input. Fyi, the firmware has no bearing on the codeplug. Here's information the Tytoolz project: DMR Track

Best to you sir,
/dtx 73

Status
Not open for further replies.