SHP 155.445 Vehicle Repeater without a tone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Just a heads up, but I've noticed a few times where the mobile repeater is not transmitting the PL tone. I know it was brought up in one of the threads, as how the different troop radio shops "tweak" their programming slightly.

I've went to a tone search mode instead of a closed PL mode, and you might want to try it out if you're not sure if you're missing any transmissions.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Noticed same thing the other day for SHP working a wreck here in Asheville.... Thought it was maybe a fluke...

CCHLLM

You are correct that some units don't transmit PL on the vehicular repeater output, and it depends on which mobile radio/vehicular repeater setup is used. Cars with the SyntorX9000s that also have the MotherMoto PAC/RT/Siren setup don't use PL on the vehicular repeater output because the system is continuously checking for the 154.920 RX freq from the walkie. If you're monitoring the 155.445 frequency, it sounds like the retransmitted low band audio is rapidly broken at regular intervals, and that's the PAC/RT system checking for input from the walkie. PL increases the RX/TX turnaround time, so the PAC/RT systems are setup for no TX PL on the VHF high band side. As radios get switched around from car to car, the PAC/RT monitor function may not be disabled when programmed for a different setup, so you'll still hear the audio break intervals. In addition, most of the vhf high band portables use carrier squelch on the 155.445 RX freq for that reason.

Hope that helps.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Thanks again WX4, I do remember the thread where you pointed out some of the reasons. I just never really noticed it until the other day, mainly because I've really only been using a CTCSS equipped scanner in the mobiles.

I just wanted to point it out in case someone was not hearing as many comms on that freq as expected.

73s

CCHLLM

And would you believe the VHF Spectra in my truck is programmed with the PL on 155.445 receive? This thread caused me to check my own junk for that sneaky little subtone, so now I know why it seems quieter when I select that channel for the scan list. You'd think I'd know better..... Hey, I'm 60 years old, brain fade is no longer just an excuse, it's a way of life!

Anyway, just wanted to post that the breaking interval audio is normal on some units and, no, your receiver ain't about to go belly up.

Status
Not open for further replies.