shreveport la. police

Status
Not open for further replies.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
i dont live there just there the metal body of the car may be some of my problem. can you recomend an anttena?

I run portable antennas in my vehicle with good results for LWIN. A SpectrumForce 800 in the back glass works well for me. They make both SMA & BNC versions. HP2/SpectrumForce combo usually gets 20mi (limited by non-external non-mobile antenna) but my SDS100/Remtronics antenna gets 23-25 sometimes more with less height and more vehicle surrounding the radio.

You can always get a better antenna, but a newer radio on these digital systems will run circles around the older ones. Just the difference between the SDS100 and 436HP on the same system - same site is astounding. Of course antennas are cheaper so I would start there.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
i travel many states for a living . i use pro 106 radios. i have not heard any 700 or 800 p25 towers over 15 miles. i have base radios at home , same range.
It depends on the system and terrain. I can get some 800 MHz P25 sites from 60 - 70 miles away on my HT. Granted, they are on high mountains but I was still impressed.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Are all the towers the exact same freqs, exact same broadcasts, exact same times? If no then it is not simulcast. The OLD Caddo Parish 800 MHz Motorola SmartZone is a simulcast. Have they fully converted this into a LWIN site? As far as I know this has not yet happened though they have licensed for the P25 upgrade on it. The 700 MHz sites are all stand alones.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
No actually the 700 is not a simulcast system. Each site is an stand alone repeater of the LWIN system. You do not have a proper understanding of what a simulcast site is. Each of the LWIN sites in your area have different frequencies, and carry different traffic on those frequencies at different times depending on what radios are affiliated with them. In a simulcast, every single repeater has the exact same frequencies, carries exactly the same traffic on exactly the same frequencies at exactly the same time, and all active radios of that site are affiliated to all of them at the same time.

Yes, you may hear the same traffic on each of the sites in that area, due to multiple radios using the same TG affiliated to those sites. But they are using different frequencies, not simulcasting. I am not trying to be an ahole, but you do need to get a better understanding of how trunking systems work, and especially the differences on multicasting, and simulcasting etc.

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking_Basics Start there.
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Simulcast Then go there.
That will put you on the right track to start with.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
The inputs are useless on a trunked system for scanning. Also it would literally take pages and pages and pages to list the inputs for each repeater.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I hear the TACN system on handheld's ruber duck at 20 plus miles and in my car with a quality mobile antenna at over 30 miles.
I hear the MOWIN system all the time over 30 miles away mobile of base.
I hear a 800MHZ DMR Trunking System over 30 miles away.
Base antenna ST2 25 feet to a 4 port stridsberg feeding 2 8 port stridsbergs feeding 16 Uniden scanners at home.
Mobile antenna COMPACtenna SCAN III feeding a 4 port stridsberg feeding 4 Uniden Handhelds SDS100, 436, 325P2 and 346XT

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Again, the AWIN listings for each site are what you use. Also put a spot for the Interop nationwide 700, and 800 MHz freqs as these are used as talk arounds and when they take AWIN sites down for maintenance etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.