Shuttle launch on May 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4KW

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone,

I'm new to scanning so these questions are probably well-known to experienced guys. I don't have a much time to do a lot of research before my trip so I'm hoping the brain-trust can help me out.

I'm going to KSC and watch the launch of the shuttle Discovery on May 31. I have tickets for the NASA Causeway so I should see and hear plenty. I bought a BCD396T and have it updated to Firmware version 2.00.07.

I've not had much success finding information on NASA/Shuttle comms. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Chris Harrison, K4KW

cjrjr507

monitoring nasa

K4KW said:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to scanning so these questions are probably well-known to experienced guys. I don't have a much time to do a lot of research before my trip so I'm hoping the brain-trust can help me out.

I'm going to KSC and watch the launch of the shuttle Discovery on May 31. I have tickets for the NASA Causeway so I should see and hear plenty. I bought a BCD396T and have it updated to Firmware version 2.00.07.

I've not had much success finding information on NASA/Shuttle comms. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Chris Harrison, K4KW

Hi chris

Yeah, just search for monitoring nasa and space communications.pdf
That has everything you need.
Hope this helps !

Cecil
P.S. I have picked up ISS on 145.8000 when they to a fly over in space.

WouffHong

NASA Comms.. (Incl APCO25)

Hi, Chris - I worked out there for many years and streamed all that KSC/PAFB/CCAFS audio via my http://kscops.com site with the 396 and a pro-96 earlier.

I have moved and no longer stream anything but the PAO Audio, but somewhere I have the BCD396T file and if you like I can send it to you..

Has all the local stuff plus the Base Ops APCO 25..

Tom
NASA-KSC ISS/STS Comm/Nav Systems P.E. (Ret'd)

K4KW said:
Hi everyone,

Many thanks,

Chris Harrison, K4KW

Last edited:

K4KW

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to everyone who replied. I was hoping someone would have a file since I've not entered anything before and really have no way to test it before I leave.

Tom, I would really appreciate it if you could email the file. That would make me feel much better about getting it right since I only have the one chance.

My email is k4kw at mac dot com

Thanks again to everyone who replied.

Chris

WouffHong

MINI-UPDATE: During pre-launch activities and Comm-checks, as well as during early launch phase, try 259.7 AM for Shuttle voice comms - usually short/terse, so you would need to "sit" on that frequency, as opposed to scanning at that time.. Tom

(P.S. - Re kscops.com - I also stream the HF-SSB Recovery-Ship chatter when propagation allows - 5711 and 10780 Mhz USB.)

Last edited:

swstow

Premium Subscriber
try here also
http://home.cfl.rr.com/scanner/
its nothing but central florida scanner info

if this is your first launch ENJOY its mind blowing
lived in daytona 20 years and went down for several launches
tv is nothing , being their is incredible

Last edited:

WouffHong

KSC SCanning

Will do - A zip file with 3 USD files and 1 CSV - I don't have the 396 any longer, so not sure which is the best one. :)

Tom
http://pad19.org
http://goflight.org
http://high-flight.org
http://spacemuseum.org
(and a bunch more.. :) )

K4KW said:
Thanks to everyone who replied. I was hoping someone would have a file since I've not entered anything before and really have no way to test it before I leave.

Tom, I would really appreciate it if you could email the file. That would make me feel much better about getting it right since I only have the one chance.

My email is k4kw at mac dot com

Thanks again to everyone who replied.

Chris

n4yek

There is a Ham Radio 2 meter repeater that always transmits the audio right there in Titusville. Since I can't remember off the top of my head which one it is, here is all 4 of them to try:
145.490, pl 100
146.910, pl 103.5

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
there used to be one either in ct or long island that could be picked up in ct. anyone know what it is? is it still out there?

joe

WouffHong

Brevard Repeaters..

Actually, try the ARES/RACES repeaters also - 147.135, 146.94. 145.37 as well (If they haven't changed in the last 6 months. (I moved to GA :) )

Coincidentally, the 146.91 repeater carried my call back in the 70's-early 80's when i had a 2-way radio shop downtown in Sparks Furniture building on US1.. :) Rig was up on the water-tower hill in South T-Ville, complete with obligatory rattlers warming themselves in the dome-shack.. :)

Tom

n4yek said:
There is a Ham Radio 2 meter repeater that always transmits the audio right there in Titusville. Since I can't remember off the top of my head which one it is, here is all 4 of them to try:
145.490, pl 100
146.910, pl 103.5

WB2UZR

joetnymedic said:
there used to be one either in ct or long island that could be picked up in ct. anyone know what it is? is it still out there?

joe

145.430 used to carry it, not sure if it's audible from CT though.

Scott/WB2UZR

WB2UZR

w4nov said:
Actually, try the ARES/RACES repeaters also - 147.135, 146.94. 145.37 as well (If they haven't changed in the last 6 months. (I moved to GA :) )

Coincidentally, the 146.91 repeater carried my call back in the 70's-early 80's when i had a 2-way radio shop downtown in Sparks Furniture building on US1.. :) Rig was up on the water-tower hill in South T-Ville, complete with obligatory rattlers warming themselves in the dome-shack.. :)

Tom

Those obligatory rattlers are dangerous!

Scott/WB2UZR

nitroboie

I'm flying into Orlando Thursday for vacation, I'll be driving to Titusville Saturday for the launch. Enjoy your view! And like others said, if you monitor 259.7 "sit" on it, because the comms are very short. I've heard them all the way from Charlotte, NC, can't wait to see the action as well!

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
nitroboie said:
I'm flying into Orlando Thursday for vacation, I'll be driving to Titusville Saturday for the launch. Enjoy your view! And like others said, if you monitor 259.7 "sit" on it, because the comms are very short. I've heard them all the way from Charlotte, NC, can't wait to see the action as well!

I'll be working in Gastonia NC at the time, so I'm 99% sure I won't hear anything but I may park a scanner on it anyway as it can't hurt :cool:

K4KW

Premium Subscriber
Fantastic, gang...I'm heading out in the morning and I've decided to take my VX-5R with me so I can leave it on 259.7 and use the scanner for everything else.

I really appreciate all the input. This is the first time for me at a shuttle launch so I'm really excited.

I'll update when I get back to let everyone know how it went.

73 de K4KW

...-.-

JLicklider

View/hearing shuttle. Help!

I'm currently sitting in spaceview park in Titusville and can't pick up anything with my Radio Shack Pro-97. I'm "sitting" on 259.7am and get nothing. I even connected my radio with USB and downloaded the RR database of NASA freqs. What am I doing wrong?

Joey

Status
Not open for further replies.