DSDPlus SICK of Broken Audio!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

air-scan

I already contacted DSD FL team about this. they blame it on my computer. BOLOGNA!
DSD FL is the only one between Unitrunker and SDR Trunk with broken audio!
Unitrunker and SDR Trunk doesn't have broken audio!
Process of elimination says DSD FL is needs to be fixed!
I do not run the shaping filter!
It decodes the control channel fine
It decodes P25 PII TDMA voice very broken!
PPM correction is set correctly and I am using single dongle mode.
ALL OTHER AUDIO SOFTWARE DOES NOT STUTTER LIKE DSD FL!

JUST BECAUSE YOU DONT HAVE THE PROBLEM DOESNT MEAN IT DOESNT EXIST

Yes I am yelling. Sick of being ignored!

Kazzaw

Database Admin
I'm sorry to say it, but its likely something on you end. There are likely hundreds of people using FL on p25p2 systems with no issues (me included)

What issues are you facing? Can you share some raw audio?

air-scan

I'm sorry to say it, but its likely something on you end. There are likely hundreds of people using FL on p25p2 systems with no issues (me included)

What issues are you facing? Can you share some raw audio?
No thats not entirely true. It's a common thing in software. Many won't have any issues while many others will. My example for this is Windows 10

Stuttering audio in DSD FL ONLY!
SDR Trunk doesn't have the issue.
Tested with SDR# as well in FM Stereo which is more taxing runs fine sounds good very very tiny cpu usage.
Yes DSD FL has a audio issue!

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried it on a different computer?
Just because SDR Trunk and SDR# do not have this particular issue on your computer doesn't mean there isn't something else in this computer's hardware/software that is incompatible or causing an unusual interaction with DSD FL. The developer of DSD FL can't test every configuration of PC hardware/software to guarantee it will work under every condition.

air-scan

Have you tried it on a different computer?
Just because SDR Trunk and SDR# do not have this particular issue on your computer doesn't mean there isn't something else in this computer's hardware/software that is incompatible or causing an unusual interaction with DSD FL. The developer of DSD FL can't test every configuration of PC hardware/software to guarantee it will work under every condition.
No I have only 1 computer.

SDR# certainly requires more processing power than DSD FL and SDR Trunk so I used it for showing the issue.

air-scan

...continued reply
SDR Trunk
Sorry for all the menues I had to setup SDR Trunk because I reset the pc thinking something was wrong but still the same DSD FL audio stutters

This laptop came with
HP Audio Switch and B&O Audio
Realtek HD audio
I cannot remove HP Audio switch because it keeps internal speakers and headphones from being on together at the same time. Inserting headphones or speakers in the headphone jack does not mute the internal speaker without the HP Audio Switch. I have to keep it factory. It's by design. I just felt like that needed to be said just in case some says to remove HP software. This laptops audio is really good outside of DSD FL stutters.

air-scan

I must clarify that DMR sounds good P25 P1 sounds good but P25 PII TDMA is where the stuttering is.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Not knowing the op's computer specs, SDR device, and what processes are running makes it difficult to diagnose the issue. If he could post this data and CPU loading when DSD is running would be helpful. Note that caps and colors are counterproductive.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Out of curiosity, maybe try this.... Fire up DSD+ and hit R to start recording. Record a few minutes of P2 activity then hit R again to stop recording. In your DSD+ folder you should see a new wav file. Upload the file to a file sharing site like sendspace or wetransfer and post the link here. This way other uses can test that raw audio on their systems and see if they experience the same results. I don't have any P2 in my area at all so unfortunately I can't comment on how well it works.

thewraith2008

Could this be related to the single receiver mode?
Your video did not show FMP long enough to see clearly but it looked like it was changing frequency as it was playing the audio.
I think DMR does this, like if it keeps switching back to the CC for a split second.

Are you able to try two dongle setup to rule this out?

apcofan

Look at task manager in Your system during decode. How many percent of processor is used during decode of P25 conversations? If it`s a laptop, maybe You should check power options, because maybe system is running at reduced speed?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Video shows fmp24 using 9.5 bandwidth on control channel and its centered, and 12.5 on voice channels. And then at right about 18 seconds in, on the voice call, it looks like the dongle drifts left a little. In the pic, its not centered during the voice call.

voice call.JPG

air-scan

Video shows fmp24 using 9.5 bandwidth on control channel and its centered, and 12.5 on voice channels. And then at right about 18 seconds in, on the voice call, it looks like the dongle drifts left a little. In the pic, its not centered during the voice call.

View attachment 90487
I setFMP24 PPM manually by the p and shift+p key combos to go up or down tried to get it to clear up but not so lucky.

Not knowing the op's computer specs, SDR device, and what processes are running makes it difficult to diagnose the issue. If he could post this data and CPU loading when DSD is running would be helpful. Note that caps and colors are counterproductive.
2% cpu max
specs are in my forums signature.
Just in case you're not seeing forums signatures:

HP Pavilion 15 cs-3075wm W10 x64 Intel core i7 10TH Gen 8GB RAM Intel Optane 32GB 512 GB SSD

Last edited:

air-scan

Before I forget auto tune is on in FMP24 that compensates for drift that's why the drift you see is there @dave3825
I have turned it off to see if it happens by manually adjusting ppm offset with p and shift+p

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I setFMP24 PPM manually by the p and shift+p key combos to go up or down tried to get it to clear up but not so lucky.

2% cpu max
specs are in my forums signature.
Just in case you're not seeing forums signatures:

HP Pavilion 15 cs-3075wm W10 x64 Intel core i7 10TH Gen 8GB RAM Intel Optane 32GB 512 GB SSD
Sorry, when my company does tech support, we always need the baseline specs explicitly stated to avoid assumptions. Knowing what background processes are running is also helpful. Are you using one or two RTL-SDRs? What are the parameters you are using to start the program? What is the radio system you are trying to monitor?

I can hear a "stutter-like" anomaly when listening to your recording. I will try to duplicate your setup on a nearby phase 2 system around here to see if I can duplicate the behavior.

air-scan

Sorry, when my company does tech support, we always need the baseline specs explicitly stated to avoid assumptions. Knowing what background processes are running is also helpful. Are you using one or two RTL-SDRs? What are the parameters you are using to start the program? What is the radio system you are trying to monitor?

I can hear a "stutter-like" anomaly when listening to your recording. I will try to duplicate your setup on a nearby phase 2 system around here to see if I can duplicate the behavior.
I have been changing as few parameters as possible since after I uploaded those videos to be proactive.
Some changes:
added -a0 to stop FMP24 from auto correcting. It wasn't staying centered when tuning to 12.5khz channels
manually adjust ppm. best i found was 0.4ppm active keys p/P. It looks centered. Really hard to get perfect center on various frequencies.
Experimented with RF bandpass tightness between standard and tight for 9.5khz and 12.5khz using FMP24 active key T', No change.

Software defined Radios: Nooelec NESDRSmart, NanoSDR, Flightaware Orange RTLSDR with built in LNA(this one overloads signals at 850mhz even at 7db) I use single dongle configuration.

My custom batch file for to run DSD FL and FMP24 with one double click:
START DSDPlus.exe -r1 -e -T -E -i20001 -O NUL -v1
START FMP24.exe -rc -i0 -o20001 -a0 -P0.0 -g14.4 -f851.1875

Ensured TCP 20001 in windows firewall port exceptions

Ensured both FMP24 and DSDplus.exe are in the firewall exceptions

CPU scales up to 3.5ghz. only when needed it boosts frequency. It hovers at 2.48ghz when DSD+FL is running. Base frequency is 1.5ghz.

CPU load FMP24.exe 1.5% & 15mb RAM usage
CPU load Dsdplus.exe 1.4% & 19.5mb RAM usage

Overall cpu usage with all other system interrupts and background services 10% with 71 total processes total memory usage 3.1GB/8GB

Intel core i7 10TH Gen (4 cores 8 threads)
System memory 8GB (windows reports 3200mhz)
SSD 512GB (nvme) with Intel Optane 32GB enabled (system optimization nothing pinned yet)
64bit system Windows 10 1909
2x USB 3.1 ports
(no usb 2.0 at all)
All Intel chipset except Realtek HD Audio(connected) & RealteK PCIe GBe Ethernet adaptor.
HDMI Intel Display Audio (not connected)
Intel Iris Graphics Plus 128mb VRAM shared 1GB (can use 4GB shared) (not related to issue)

I hope this is enough.
Reminder the stutter is only on P25 PII TDMA
P25 P1 sounds good
DMR sound good

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
One thing I would do as a quick and dirty experiment would be disabling all processor throttling - at least temporarily. Those settings can been hidden deep in the Windows power management settings / cps, so you need to make sure you get them all, lol. I'll try to do a test setup tonight or tomorrow.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Before I forget auto tune is on in FMP24 that compensates for drift that's why the drift you see is there @dave3825
I have turned it off to see if it happens by manually adjusting ppm offset with p and shift+p

Was just asking because I set my ppm to 0.01 and it is centered in fmp24 during voice calls. I do not use auto tune for a few reasons but one is because I feel if ppm is set, its set. Fmp24 does not have to waste time tuning. I also (at the moment) have DSDPlus running on an older machine. Intel Pentium G840 3M Cache, 2.80 GHz with 8Gb of ram. That's 2 cores and 2 threads.

I am running 2 instances of DSDPlus in single dongle mode on 2 different systems using 2 nooelec dongles. I do not have the best 800mhz ant but my counties p25 phase 1 & 2 sound good. Another phase 2 system sounds awesome. I only have one phase 2 system that stutters and that's the MRRS system and its due poor signal.

Not sure if you saw it or not but @Forts asked if you could get a recording of raw audio and post it here.

Out of curiosity, maybe try this.... Fire up DSD+ and hit R to start recording. Record a few minutes of P2 activity then hit R again to stop recording. In your DSD+ folder you should see a new wav file. Upload the file to a file sharing site like sendspace or wetransfer and post the link here. This way other uses can test that raw audio on their systems and see if they experience the same results. I don't have any P2 in my area at all so unfortunately I can't comment on how well it works.

air-scan

download it from here. it's a few seconds

didn't have to register. Up to 3 month expiration of files. might be sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.