Side arm mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Depends.
If this is a mobile antenna, then making that mount work would require some fabrication.
If this is for personal use and not a commercial/LMR/public safety application, you can certainly make your own. If it was me, I'd probably use some Unistrut for something. Making it all stable is the challenge, is this going on a tower or a pole?

prcguy

Unistrut is great for side arm mounts, I've made lots of them. Its easy with a tower where you have two vertical members to attach, but with a single pole you would need a cross brace running at an angle from the pole to where the antenna attaches, otherwise your side arm will sag.

What mobile antenna will you use? Most need a lot of ground plane and if this VHF lo antenna is below the top of the pole and 3ft or 6ft out from the pole it will turn into a two element beam.

Unistrut is great for side arm mounts, I've made lots of them. Its easy with a tower where you have two vertical members to attach, but with a single pole you would need a cross brace running at an angle from the pole to where the antenna attaches, otherwise your side arm will sag.

What mobile antenna will you use? Most need a lot of ground plane and if this VHF lo antenna is below the top of the pole and 3ft or 6ft out from the pole it will turn into a two element beam.

Yup that's what I was thinking about the sag.

Status
Not open for further replies.