Sig Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
How about putting a limit to the length of signatures. Sig lines like this one that I saw in a post today is just ridiculous. Thats 26 lines of wasted space...

"On A Long Enough Time Line The Survival Rate For Everyone Drops To Zero" - Tyler Derden

Scanners:
Pro-60 - Sold
PRO-83
PRO-2026
PRO-2033
PRO-2066 - Traded
BC205XLT
BC246T
Ham VHF/UHF:
Yaesu VX-5
Yaesu FT-8800R
HTX-202 X2
HYX-242
ALINCO DR-110T
Ham HF:
Heathkit DX-35 - Sold
Heathkit SB-300
Heathkit SB-401
Heathkit Linear HA-10 Warrior
Yaesu FP-301D
Yaesu FT-301D
Yaesu FV-301
YaesuFC-301
Halicrafters SX-100 - Sold

16b

Premium Subscriber
Instead of bragging about all the junk I own (or used to own), I was thinking of listing all of the stuff that I *want* to own :)

Every time I would post, the thread would become two pages long.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
blantonl said:
I agree... I will address this shortly.

Thanks!

Thanks Lindsay. This has always bugged the royal crap out of me. 4-5 lines would be more then sufficient for most users.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Agreed

I had mine like that (vertically) at one time , but I put my list to the minimum font size and my list is somewhat shorter. However, I decided one day to put mine horizontally, taking up only one line (like it is now) - much better. Notice the font size is still small.

I don't see a problem with people wanting some space to put their signature, some silly quote, their website, and/or their radios; but listing them one-by-one like that is a little too much (long).

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I agree that Sigs are out of control, how about a maximum of 80 characters.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Number of Characters Not Really the Issue; Rather Number of Lines

I don't think it is the amount of characters that are the issue, rather how they are displayed. One could take 80 characters and make one heck of a long signature. Plus 80 characters at size 2 is much different than 80 characters at size 6. Personally, I don't think 80 characters would be nearly quite enough - some of us have a few radios. Eighty characters is not even enough to fill up one line at the default font size.

Maybe more like as many characters as you like (or can fit) into a signature with no more than six lines (with spacing), or something like that.

Like I wrote, one for your sig (name/handle), one for some sort of silly quote, one for your website(s), one for your radio(s), and an extra one for any other superfluous information. People like to be expressive.

Last edited:

morfis

Maybe a restriction on the number of characters and the content generally. I tend to use my phone to check the bulletin boards...all the extra spam in the signatures adds to the cost but adds nothing to the value of the post. Express yourself by the useful content of a message rather than repetition?

flyingwolf

Old School
Hey Dave, I hate to point out the glaringly obvious, but your posting on a thread about long sig lines, in support of making them shorter when you yourself have what, to many, would be considered a long and ugly sig line.

Case in point, the top 3 lines of your sig, are all over the minimum size, and your radios line, is mostly in Caps.

trace1

Well taking into consideration on what is being discussed here I’ve decided to forever change my Signature Line. Not necessarily due to the fact that a handful of people felt or feel that there are way to numerous others that have what they believe to be incredibly long Signature Line but rather as to my original one was kind of getting old.

Change is good... ;)

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
A single line?

I like the idea of having a single signature line (or at the most two) but the limit should be 255 characters. That means for someone to list all their stuff on one line the font size would be very small (which means many wont even see it). If they want it so small others cant read it, that's fine. However, perhaps there should be an upper limit to the font size. The example earlier showed how far that can get carried away.

Another option is a template of a standard non changeable size font, on 1 or 2 lines, with a character limit of what can be shown.

That's my $0.02
George

flyingwolf

Old School
Rather then forcing veryone to use some standardized system, just be reasonable, if someone says your sig is ugly, screw em, if 200 someones say damn thats a waste of bandwidth, then yea maybe you need to tone it down some.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I updated the policy to only allow a maximum of 200 characters in a signature. This is the best way that we can control the otherwise out of control signatures that we are seeing.

D

DaveNF2G

A change now might not affect messages already posted.

Some people just don't seem to have anything better to do....

[I'm not sure how many characters my signature contains, so this will be a test.]

mciupa

Database Admin
DaveNF2G said:
[I'm not sure how many characters my signature contains, so this will be a test.]
David T. Stark
M.A. Criminal Justice / ACJS / CJEANYS / ISI / NACADA
Adjunct Instructor of Criminal Justice, HVCC, Troy, NY
NF2G / IBN289 (ex-N2CSB, KNY2DJ, KYR-7128, RCMA NY-182, NYSING-01)

I believe you're good for at least another fifty or so . :)
Any more credentials ? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.