signal 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommShrek

:soapbox: NIMS Training, plain english, we can all understand. Say it with me....

KE5EHI

For EMSA and some others around Tulsa

Signal 30 is a traumatic dead
Signal 48 is a medical death

TPD 10-codes that us EMSA people sometimes use
10-76 MVC no injuries
10-77 MVC minor/possible injuries
10-78 MVC with injury/major injury
10-79 Hit and run

car2back

CommShrek said:
:soapbox: NIMS Training, plain english, we can all understand. Say it with me....

lol, we're still fighting the bubba factor up near Skiatook.... you have no idea how hard it is to get a redneck fireman NOT to say "get 'er done" on the radio. I guess I need to look on the bright side: They're not saying "10-4" :D

jrplmil

get 'er done = 10-4??????? gee I must be getting old. That was the term used in the prison where I worked. I dont know about red neck but bubba seems to fit ok.

car2back

jrplmil said:
get 'er done = 10-4??????? gee I must be getting old. That was the term used in the prison where I worked. I dont know about red neck but bubba seems to fit ok.

Have you ever watched anything involving Larry the Cable Guy?:

larry%20the%20cable%20guy.jpg

Basically, I was trying to make the point that both "Git 'er gone" and "10-4" are equally inapropriate on the radio when following NIMS guidelines

Last edited:

CommShrek

phil_smith said:
lol, we're still fighting the bubba factor up near Skiatook.... you have no idea how hard it is to get a redneck fireman NOT to say "get 'er done" on the radio. I guess I need to look on the bright side: They're not saying "10-4" :D

I've spent 4 years of my time working with redneck fireman. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. Good luck. :)

KE5EHI

I thought the idea of no-codes in NIMS was for interagency communication during an incident (or any other time you would be on the radio with another agency). Even amateur radio is not supposed to have "codes", but what about Q-codes?

CommShrek

KE5EHI said:
I thought the idea of no-codes in NIMS was for interagency communication during an incident (or any other time you would be on the radio with another agency). Even amateur radio is not supposed to have "codes", but what about Q-codes?

Has EMSA made everyone take NIMS and/or ICS yet? The idea behind no-codes period is to eliminate confusion and standardize things. It's used for both intraagency and interaency communications.

You're right, amatuer radio is not supposed to have codes. I dislike Q codes, they are discouraged in EmComm (although I hear many people in leadership EmComm positions using them) and I refuse to use them.

Chaos703

phil_smith said:
Have you ever watched anything involving Larry the Cable Guy?: Basically, I was trying to make the point that both "Git 'er gone" and "10-4" are equally inapropriate on the radio when following NIMS guidelines​

Nothing like having to explain humor to really suck the joy out of it. Especially when you have to resort to using pictures. You've done this to me before, so I'm happy to see it happen to you. Hurts, don't it?

Getting back to the theme of finding dead people, here's my question: Saturday night a TPD unit called for a Paul unit to respond to a "DOA." The following exchange then took place.
"Paul XXX to that unit, switch over."
On c2c, the Paul unit asked, "Was there anything unusual about the DOA?"
"It was a hanging." answered the uniformed unit.
"A hangings not a DOA."
"Sorry. I know, that's just the way it was put out."

So I'm confused. Does the term "dead on arrival" not apply to all dead people? Does it only apply to natural causes? If so, I don't think that's fair to all those who died because someone went to some effort to get them dead. They should get the same level of respect. They are, after all, dead.​

freqscout

The funny thing about plain language is that eventually it will even turn into its own "code" system.
In then end we're all really workin' for the man....or at least his money.

We have our own codes on here anyway that no one cares about (ie: TG, freq, FM, CSQ, WX, TRS, EmComm, OHP, PD, EMS, FD, EM...the list goes on) so why even get on a soap box about 10 codes when we use our own codes even more often than anyone uses 10-codes and no one says anything about those. But on here this isn't an incident or a forum that is getting me any federal money or even a training scenario......so ask how much I really care what anyone says coded or not.

Bottom line is...this isn't a NIMS environment no matter how much you want it to be. Don't get me wrong I get paid to teach NIMS and ICS and buy into the whole idea and not just for the money. At the end of the day though, when I come home and I am typing on a forum on my own time for my own purposes I could really care less because typing on here isn't my employment and I wouldn't want it to be because that would mean that I don't have anywhere to go that is not work to talk about my hobbies. And when it is on my time for my fun and purposes, as I am sure is the case with many others, screw NIMS cause no one is gonna tell me how to have my own fun. TEN-FOUR!

Last edited:

Chaos703

Speaking of the natural evolution of radio language and codes, I find it very interesting how users pick up cumbersome phrases and strange ways of wording things while on the radio—things you would never say in person.

The most obvious example is this phrase: "Suspect is turning east on 11th, AT THIS TIME."

Really? Right now? I thought you were talking about last week.

This might also be a good time to vent about a major grammatical pet peeve that seems to magically come out of every cop and dispatcher on the radio. Even the most educated of law enforcement personnel all seem to get sucked into ending sentences with prepositions.

"Where are you AT?" As opposed to, "Where are you?"

"Where are you going TO?" As opposed to, "Where are you going?"

"What do you need to talk to him FOR?" As oppose to, "Why do you need to talk to him?"

Can't stand it! You law folks are KILLING me with this! If you can't fit the damn preposition into a prepositional phrase within the sentence, just get rid of it.

Is that too much to ask?

freqscout

Chaos, as much as I hate to say it cause I know I have said a couple of those, you are absolutely right, AT THIS TIME.

dstew67

Premium Subscriber
Chaos703 said:
...Can't stand it! You law folks are KILLING me with this! If you can't fit the damn preposition into a prepositional phrase within the sentence, just get rid of it.

Is that too much to ask?

What are you referring to? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.