Signal goes in and out

Status
Not open for further replies.

paullylama

Hello all. Thanks for taking the timeto read this. Im very new to CB's but have a general knoweledge of how they work. I have a cobra29 wx nw st. I installed and calibrated the SWR per the instructions. I was wondering why some CB transmissions sound like they want to come in really strong but then all of the sudden drop out. I have messed with the squelch and the Gain. Is it because there is so much radio traffic or is there something I am missing? I just dont understand why someone would start out loud and clear and then drop. any help would be great. Be safe, stay low.

Paul

Evert

Are you using the CB as a base station (fixed position) or as a mobile (moving in a vehicle)? The reason the signal fades out is probably because one or both of you moving away from each other. Usually the maximum distance that you can hear someone is about 5 miles.

Also the signal can drop if one or the other moves so that a hill or other obstacle comes between you.

If you are listening to transmitters a long distance away, a change in propagation conditions can make the signals suddenly disappear.

Watch your six and stay off the horizon.

Last edited:

a29zuk

If it is an abrupt drop in signal check your antenna connection or try swapping antennas. You didn't say if it was a base installation or mobile. If mobile, check your power connections and make sure they are tight.
Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.