signal reception

Status
Not open for further replies.
so much coax inside that you are having to keep it coiled up so as not to have a whole lot on the floor can that affect your radio signal receive?
Yes. Extra coax will have an ill effect on receive.

The less coax (Loss) the better.

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi Stephen @KA4PQA, I have three questions for you.
  1. What is the nomenclature on the coax? RG-58, RG-58/U, RG-8X, etc.
  2. How much of this coax is coiled up?
  3. What is the highest frequency that you are interested in receiving/monitoring?
Answer those three questions and we can tell you just how much of an issue you have. If it is significant, then you may want to see about having somebody from a local Amateur Radio club shorten the coax for you. But first, we need to determine just how big of an issue you have.

73, Dave K4EET

bob550

Premium Subscriber
no,have neither the equipment or experience for doing that
None of us had the equipment or experience at some point in our lives. Then, we decided to solve both problems. But if that's not in the cards, consider purchasing a shorter cable with appropriate factory-installed connectors. You should tell us the length and type of cable you do have so we can determine whether a shorter cable will even help.

DJ11DLN

Can you buy a shorter run of coax with the connectors already installed?
Or consider purchasing a new antenna, mount that accepts removable connectors and an appropriate length of coax with pre-installed connectors.
Another option might be for him to get in contact with the local Ham community...chances are somebody has the wherewithal to shorten the coax and install the correct connector(s), and might be willing to help.

lu81fitter

If the OP does not have the resources to shorten the cable, for whatever reason, he should not "coil" it up. That, in itself, will degrade reception. Run the coax around the apartment and drape it over things if its an option. "Coiling" the cable will negatively affect reception.

Ubbe

In some cases coiling up the coax will make it work as a choke balun and stop interferencies from travelling on the outside of the coax braid. Routing a coax all around a room close to all the electronics might make it a pick up antenna that receives all the interferencies that exists in the room and feed it up to the antenna or the receiver if it's badly shielded.

/Ubbe

bob550

Premium Subscriber
It would seem that the OP is using a mag mount antenna as evidenced by his post in a thread entitled signal reception. With one end normally hard-wired to the base, that leaves having to cut, shorten, and reconnect the other end as his only choice. That said, the cables found on mag mounts can be quite thin and difficult to work with. However, the cable length probably doesn't exceed 15'.

WB9YBM

Just curious: how close is a downspout to a window? Assuming they're close & the downspout's metal, there might be a way to run a discrete wire from it to your scanner. It won't be the perfect antenna, but at least it'll give you some metallic surface area with which to capture signals...

KA4PQA

Absolutely.
Crazy question i know but will very scratchy reception clear up in time? This is the first in a long time for reception of our club repeater coming in this scratchy on receive. We did just get finished getting inundated with rain from a hurricane and i also just finished up with making some station setup changes.All of the rain was the remnants of a hurricane

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Crazy question i know but will very scratchy reception clear up in time? This is the first in a long time for reception of our club repeater coming in this scratchy on receive. We did just get finished getting inundated with rain from a hurricane and i also just finished up with making some station setup changes.All of the rain was the remnants of a hurricane

That sounds more like antenna damage, water in the coax, or something along those lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.