Signal Stalker II

Status
Not open for further replies.

dune614

I have a PRO-97 and have tried to rip some frequencies from near by places using the signal stalker function. However, it seems like it has to be a very strong signal in order for my scanner to pick it up. At one point I had to have a friend stand next to me and que his mic for me to get it and even that took a second. I'm still using the rubber duck and I think that might be part of my problem, but has anyone else had problems like that or can offer any suggestions? Thanks

Rob

Sac916

dune614 said:
I have a PRO-97 and have tried to rip some frequencies from near by places using the signal stalker function. However, it seems like it has to be a very strong signal in order for my scanner to pick it up. At one point I had to have a friend stand next to me and que his mic for me to get it and even that took a second. I'm still using the rubber duck and I think that might be part of my problem, but has anyone else had problems like that or can offer any suggestions? Thanks

Rob

I don't think it's a problem, it's more of a design. It's a poor man's version of a frequency counter. It's my understanding that it simply sweeps certain freq bands and catches strong signals. You could pretty much do the same using a Service Search and applying attenuation and squelch, it's just slower than Sig Stalker. By no means is it as accurate as an Opto Electronics Scout.

jeffrey420

I like the Signal Stalker on the PRO-83 much better, since it can run in the background of scan.

RadioMarkW

From all my expermentation Signal Stalker 1 (unidens close call) works much better than the signal stalker 2. It picks up the signals much faster (even when run in the background). You can make the signal stalker 2 search faster by narowing the search bands to those that interest you most. I usually search bands 2 -6

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
dune614 said:
However, it seems like it has to be a very strong signal in order for my scanner to pick it up.
Attentuation isn't on is it? I don't have any issues like you do. With attentuation off I get close to near standard search sensitivity.

-Wayne

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Yeah make sure the squelch is down to normal and the global attenuation is off. There should be an easier way then to save recently found signal stalker freqs into a bank with this scanner.

_DeS_

I find my Pro-97 Signal Stalker is not responsive at all ? but maybe im suing it wrong as I'm new to this and I'm pretty sure my antenna is crap. So I'm getting a new antenna to see if it makes a diff....I was only ever able to have signal stalker pick signal out once......

So i dunno maybe im missing someting or SSII suck lol...

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Signal Stalker and Close Call are basically near field receivers. They will receive nearby signals only, and by nearby I mean a few feet to maybe several hundred feet. This is the way they're supposed to work. They are not intended as a substitute for programming your scanner with the correct frequencies, or a substitute for the scanner's regular search mode.

LarrySC

The secret is the antenna. Using a 2055 (big brother to 97) I get MILES of SS range using a Maxrad MDB1545 dual band VHF/UHF [banks 2&5] mobile on NMO hardware. It has blown me away several times with range I never expected. You can see this antenna at www.bncantenna.com So with that in mind maybe a telescopic would help your 97. Good Luck

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
LarrySC said:
The secret is the antenna. Using a 2055 (big brother to 97) I get MILES of SS range using a Maxrad MDB1545 dual band VHF/UHF [banks 2&5] mobile on NMO hardware. It has blown me away several times with range I never expected. You can see this antenna at www.bncantenna.com So with that in mind maybe a telescopic would help your 97. Good Luck

Larry, you're correct. I've received some base stations a couple of miles away using Signal Stalker on the PRO-97 and an external mobile scanner antenna. I have found that Signal Stalker has a slower response time, but greater range than Close Call, but this is how they were designed. And like I said, they aren't meant as a substitute for programming frequencies into the scanner and scanning them.

Status
Not open for further replies.