Signal Strength Bars Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob1955

Has anyone else had this issue? I have had the scanner about a month when they stopped working. I have reprogrammed the unit and undated the Filmware with no luck. Any ideas????
rpguan, This is kind of NOT fair since you have ONLY had this SDS-200 (1) month. If you don't mind, what dealer did you purchase this from?

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Has anyone tested to see how accurate the signal strength is?

I have often wondered on mine, but my opinion I don't know how accurate it is.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
rpgaun,
As mentioned in posts 15 & 16, have you checked the text (foreground) and background color display settings for the SIG field? If they are the same color you will not be able to see the signal bars. If the radio is still receiving normally, this would be the most likely cause.

Ubbe

Has anyone tested to see how accurate the signal strength is?
RSSI measurement of a SDS100

" I monitored a frequency in the 400Mhz band with a signal of -100dBm, just a little noise in it so it can be heard if the sensitivity changes. I used the filter set to Off, which is the standard symetrical filter used in any other scanner.
I injected a -50dBm signal and at a frequency 7MHz lower than the monitored one. The RSSI changed from showing -100dBm to -60dBm.
When I got within 3MHz it started to show -50dBm. "

" Nearby frequencies will reduce the receivers gain and sensitivity. The RSSI indicator starts to react to signals as far away as 7MHz from the monitored frequency. It's difficult to have a good RSSI meter when the signal starts to go up in the -60dBm strenght, as the measured voltage from the receiver chip has very small differences at those signal levels. It sometimes jumps from -60 to -40 and the -40 got stuck a couple of times even when lowering signal to -90dBm. It's a very unreliable indicator. When it works, with a single pure signal source, it shows about 5dB too much but seems to be usefull up to -60dBm. "

/Ubbe

rpgaun

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone for your input!!!! Looks like it will have to go back. But, it’s receiving great so I’m thinking of holding off as long as the proformance is not effected

rcool101

Feed Provider
I had no bars on mine when it was new. 536 is 3 ft away with 5 bars. I tried changing color schemes and antennas. I gave up. A week later I started messing with the filters. Tried every one. I only listen to one system. System comes in clear and strong. At some point the signal bars came alive. My filter selection is OFF now. Everything works fine

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.