SDS100/SDS200: Signal Strength Bars, RSSI and RSSI Graph

Status
Not open for further replies.

caldwest

Today, the signal strength bars and the RSSI and RSSI graph in the custom display of my SDS100 stopped working . . . the box for the signal strength bars has just the background color, the RSSI option shows "RSSI: ---" without data, and the RSSI graph just has the outline of the graph box without the data. At first they became intermittent and then stopped altogether. I have tried reloading 'reading to scanner' several times and removed the battery to reboot. NOISE and D-ERROR seem to be working fine.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Today, the signal strength bars and the RSSI and RSSI graph in the custom display of my SDS100 stopped working . . . the box for the signal strength bars has just the background color, the RSSI option shows "RSSI: ---" without data, and the RSSI graph just has the outline of the graph box without the data. At first they became intermittent and then stopped altogether. I have tried reloading 'reading to scanner' several times and removed the battery to reboot. NOISE and D-ERROR seem to be working fine.

Try moving that data to another area of the screen to see if it works.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Just a thought : try display option in
set B/W mode.

If it works then go back to color mode
and try changing color

Ubbe

At first they became intermittent and then stopped altogether.
Then it must be a hardware failure. There's a J401 connector that connects the RF board to the CPU board that seems to be a weak point in early SDS100s. People had mostly the RSSI go into max value when that connection went bad but it probably depends of which of the dataleads that goes bad.

/Ubbe

caldwest

Thanks, that makes sense. When I started to notice the RSSI going bad I believe I did notice that I was seeing more max values than usual.

dfw1193

Dont mean to seem lost but what is the max value for rssi, the new sds100 I just got is missing stuff while the sds200 next to it receives it. The rssi on the sds200 shows about -85db while the sds100 is showing -105 for a bit then -85 for a bit the -45 db for a bit then -40db for a bit then the signal bars go away and the pattern starts over. Im still just starting to set it up though.

caldwest

My 2¢. Try a new card if you haven't already. It's like taking 2 aspirin. Fixes a lot of things
Just tried a new SanDisk card . . . that did not restore the signal bars or RSSI graph. Thanks for the suggestion. It must be a broken J401 connection as Ubbe suggested.

tampatracker

And your reception has stayed the same? No loss of sensitivity, etc?

dfw1193

Dont mean to seem lost but what is the max value for rssi, the new sds100 I just got is missing stuff while the sds200 next to it receives it. The rssi on the sds200 shows about -85db while the sds100 is showing -105 for a bit then -85 for a bit the -45 db for a bit then -40db for a bit then the signal bars go away and the pattern starts over. Im still just starting to set it up though.

Just boxed it up to return same setup checked everything against the sds200 right beside it. The sds200 shows consistant -84-86db rssi and <400 noise with 10 data loss while the sds100 shows >10,000 noise sometimes over 40,000 noise rssi -40db to -119db varies data errors of 10-60.
Tried all different antennas with different results but regardless the sds100 received only 1 of 50 or more P25 transmissions compared to the sds200. Seemed to receive ok on weather and other conventional but still with noise >30,000 most of the time even tried a 50 ohm dummy load for an antenna and no antenna and noise reading was always over 20,000. Was going to keep it, but I will stick with the 436, 536 and sds200 for now. Maybe later will add another sds200.

caldwest

And your reception has stayed the same? No loss of sensitivity, etc?
The scanner receives just as well as it did before losing the signal bars and RSSI graph. I have several more months of warranty left, so I am waiting to send it in for repair in case something else goes wrong.

Ubbe

Seemed to receive ok on weather and other conventional but still with noise >30,000 most of the time even tried a 50 ohm dummy load for an antenna and no antenna and noise reading was always over 20,000.

The dummy load test wont give any useful results. If you open the squelch on an empty conventional channel you'll hear noise. At that point the noise value will be at maximum. As soon as you hear a faint signal the noise value drops and when a signal are so strong that you cannot hear any background noise it should have a noise value of zero, or perhaps up to 5 or 10. I guess that when the noise value reaches 5000 the squelch should close when set at a normal value.

/Ubbe

caldwest

Update
In late March I sent my SDS100 (under warranty) to Uniden for repair. In addition to the RSSI bar graph and the signal strength bar not working, the unit also stopped receiving conventional systems (UHF and air band). The unit was returned today and on initial inspection all seems well. The only notation on the invoice was "cold solder joint".

tampatracker

Update
In late March I sent my SDS100 (under warranty) to Uniden for repair. In addition to the RSSI bar graph and the signal strength bar not working, the unit also stopped receiving conventional systems (UHF and air band). The unit was returned today and on initial inspection all seems well. The only notation on the invoice was "cold solder joint".
Good news!

WeBeCinYa

How do you add this graph to the display?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.