Signal Strength Display/Audio Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

amanaman1

Premium Subscriber
I just got a new Whisler WS1040 and manually set up a couple trunked systems, a P25 and a MOT800/900. Both are working fine except I notice many talkgroups being displayed on the screen during scanning but I hear no audio. Some come through loud and clear but some just display an ID anywhere from 2-10 seconds without audio then resumes scanning. I'm thinking it may be related to the signal strength but even some with only 2-3 bars come in fine with audio while others don't. It doesn't matter if they are wildcards or stored id's, same thing happens but seems to be more affiliated with id's on the MOT800/900 Tsys, which generally seems to have slightly weaker signals than those on the P25 tsys. I know the MOT tsys is a mix of analog and digital signals but it doesn't seem to matter which, I get the same issue with both.

I finally upgraded from my Pro91 and new to to digital systems so not sure if this is normal. Is this related to signal strength or does anyone think there something else going on?

Thanks

Brian

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Verify that your MOT800/900 system is properly rebanded. If your T Tables are incorrect, the scanner will be sent to the completely wrong frequency which might be why you aren't hearing audio.

If you are using software and automatically imported from the database, it should have automatically set your tables. If it did not, dig around your trunked systems settings and see if you can change your settings. There should be a way to quickly set your tables to be rebanded.

If you are programming manually, EDIT the TSYS, scroll down until you hit T Tables:, switch this to Custom and hit SEL/ENT. Program the following tables:

Table 01
Lo Chan: 440
Hi Chan: 559
Offset: 440
Base: 851.02500
Step: 25.000

Table 02
Lo Chan: 0
Hi Chan: 719
Offset: 0
Base: 851.01250
Step: 25.000

amanaman1

Premium Subscriber
Thanks so much, that seemed to do the trick. I am now hearing most of the id's I thought I should be. I am still getting some of the no audio thing but I honestly think that is because of out range issues as everything closer is coming in fine now. I programmed everything manually so had no clue about needing to tweak the T Tables. I guess I assumed the new scanner would already be tweaked for the rebanding and ready to go out of the box. I'm just getting this new scanner figured out so I appreciate your help.

As far as the T Tables, if I want to set up another tsys in the 800 ranges, do I have to reset the T Tables for each tsys I create or will the changes I already made carry over internally?

lou9155

i have the same issue NJSP on 800 mhz band not strong reception with my d130j discone but mobile with my larsen tribander much stronger signal

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I am still getting some of the no audio thing but I honestly think that is because of out range issues as everything closer is coming in fine now.

Could be a signal strength issue, especially with digital voice as it is all or nothing. It could also be a simulcast issue if you are getting the behavior on a simulcast P25 site.

As far as the T Tables, if I want to set up another tsys in the 800 ranges, do I have to reset the T Tables for each tsys I create or will the changes I already made carry over internally?

The T Tables only apply per trunked system. You will need to program the rebanded tables if you are programming a new 800 MHz Motorola system.

P25 systems transmits all the information on the control channel, so leaving it as a P25 AUTO system will allow the scanners to do the heavy lifting for T Tables.

Status
Not open for further replies.