BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Signal Strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syncopations

Hears voices in my head.
Premium Subscriber
On my attached picture, you can see both x36 scanners on ProScan. You'll notice that both scanners are monitoring the exact same system, even on the exact same frequency. Both scanners are using the Radio Shack magnetic mobile mount antenna, mounted on my roof. Both scanners are also attached to separate GRE Super Amplifiers. Since both scanners are attached to the same equipment, on the same system and frequency, why would the signal strength be different on each radio? I've noticed that while monitoring both radios at the same time, the 536 has cleaner audio. Would that mean that the 536 is more sensitive than the 436?

Attachments

• screen-capture.jpg
    screen-capture.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 323

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No. One antenna and amp, with a splitter next to the scanners and equal length of coax going from the splitter to each scanner.

Syncopations

Hears voices in my head.
Premium Subscriber
I should have mentioned that I am using two separate antennas, with separate lines, and separate amplifiers. So each scanner is attached to its own amplifier and it's own antenna.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Which exponentially increases the possibility that the difference is NOT due to the scanners.

One antenna could be going bad or be in a null from a reflection, or a cable could have a bad connection, or one of the amplifiers could have more gain the other.

Connect both scanners to one antenna and cable as I described to minimize the chance that the antenna or cabling is the cause of the discrepancy.

jim202

Which exponentially increases the possibility that the difference is NOT due to the scanners.

One antenna could be going bad or be in a null from a reflection, or a cable could have a bad connection, or one of the amplifiers could have more gain the other.

Connect both scanners to one antenna and cable as I described to minimize the chance that the antenna or cabling is the cause of the discrepancy.

I would suggest swapping the antenna cables between the scanners and see if the low signal follows the antenna cable or stays with the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.