BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Signal Strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoplinFossil

Premium Subscriber
Does it sound right to have 5 bars of signal strength but no sound on my BCD436HP? Squelch is at 2 and plenty of volume.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Is this on a trunked system? Are you receiving a talk group but not hearing anything?

JoplinFossil

Premium Subscriber
I have not noticed if it was a trunked system or what. I am just scanning my favorite lists and when it stops I have no sound but full bars. Maybe I’m catching the ends of transmissions?

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
It would help a lot to know what it’s sitting on when you see this.

I suspect you’re receiving a site for a trunked system. This would just mean it’s got a good signal to the site, and is checking the control channel for activity before moving on to other things.

But without knowing what’s showing up on screen when you’re seeing this, it’s a guessing game.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
If you are using PL decode you could be using an incorrect frequency. Try not using PL decode.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Thanks I’ll check. So if it is on a trunked system there’s nothing to worry about?

If it’s just scanning the site and there’s no activity it’s normal behaviour.

If you can grab a photo of the screen when it does this, it would be good to help give a more definitive answer.

JoplinFossil

Premium Subscriber
If it’s just scanning the site and there’s no activity it’s normal behaviour.

If you can grab a photo of the screen when it does this, it would be good to help give a more definitive answer.

Attachments

• IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 56

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I hate to say it but there is also the possibility you are not hearing stuff or receiving garbled comms due to LSM.
But thats a bit more in depth. However since your monitoring a P25 system you might as well learn as much as you can.

JoplinFossil

Premium Subscriber
LSM? I know this probably isn’t right but I had all six favorites that are loaded, all were turned on. I turned them off all but one and it seems as that I’m hearing more. .???

daddyjohn

On the Joplin Public Safety P25 System you should be hearing all kinds of traffic on the Medical and Fire Talkgroups, in fact they do a radio test on a fire Talkgroup every morning around 7:00 am. Also the trolley Talkgroup should have some traffic throughout the day. Most of the time you will not hear any Police Talkgroup as they are encrypted. You need to make sure if you are ID scanning only, that you have all the Talkgroups that you want to hear programmed in and turned on. If you do the ID search, it will pick up any Talkgroup not programmed in. The downside to ID search is that it really slows the uniden x36hp series radios down. Also make sure that you have the correct "service types" turned on that you want to listen to.

JoplinFossil

Premium Subscriber
On the Joplin Public Safety P25 System you should be hearing all kinds of traffic on the Medical and Fire Talkgroups, in fact they do a radio test on a fire Talkgroup every morning around 7:00 am. Also the trolley Talkgroup should have some traffic throughout the day. Most of the time you will not hear any Police Talkgroup as they are encrypted. You need to make sure if you are ID scanning only, that you have all the Talkgroups that you want to hear programmed in and turned on. If you do the ID search, it will pick up any Talkgroup not programmed in. The downside to ID search is that it really slows the uniden x36hp series radios down. Also make sure that you have the correct "service types" turned on that you want to listen to.
Is that why I was hearing more? I turned off all but one of my favorites and then pressed function and yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.