Signal to noise ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
I am experimenting with my mobile HF installation. What I want to do is try to reduce the signal to noise ratio (SNR). So what would be the best way to measure the SNR without using expensive professional equipment? Can I just turn down the squelch and see what my S-meter is reading? Would just listening to the volume of the static suffice? What would be an “acceptable” reading? Am way of course thinking this way? I am planing on bonding my truck and I would like see a measurable difference before, during and after. Any suggestions on ways to lower it on a mobile installation? Is it even worth the time to try? Anyone with any technical advise on SNR would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You can't really measure SNR without the right test gear. People that do it a lot can 'hear' it. I do it frequently, but not enough to be that good.

Find a signal and use the attenuator function to get the signal so you can just barely hear/understand it, and make your changes. Since HF fades, it'll be hard to get an accurate comparison. You might be able to use something fairly steady/strong like WWV

prcguy

I think you want to increase your signal to noise ratio. You can measure it with a spectrum analyzer with a resolution band width similar to what your receiver is like about 3KHz for SSB or maybe 10KHz for AM. Measure the peak of a CW carrier on the band of interest then measure the nearby noise floor, that's your C/N and very close to the signal to noise ratio.

I am experimenting with my mobile HF installation. What I want to do is try to reduce the signal to noise ratio (SNR). So what would be the best way to measure the SNR without using expensive professional equipment? Can I just turn down the squelch and see what my S-meter is reading? Would just listening to the volume of the static suffice? What would be an “acceptable” reading? Am way of course thinking this way? I am planing on bonding my truck and I would like see a measurable difference before, during and after. Any suggestions on ways to lower it on a mobile installation? Is it even worth the time to try? Anyone with any technical advise on SNR would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
You can measure it with a spectrum analyzer

Would something like this work good enough for hobby work?

@mmckenna Happy Coast Guard Day. Coast Guard is 231 years old today!

prcguy

It claims to have RBW filters from 2.6KHz to 640KHz so it should work.

Would something like this work good enough for hobby work?

@mmckenna Happy Coast Guard Day. Coast Guard is 231 years old today!

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
USCG definitely has a prettier color scheme than the ships I rode around on for most of a decade.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
I just ordered the analyzer from Amazon. It will be fun to play with. Also found an older one at work in someone’s office. I going to see if it works and if I can take it home for a day or two to compare the two. A little over due for a calibration. It expired in 2012🤣

Attachments

• 73DA40E9-2969-47CD-997B-CAE86CB50FA4.jpeg
    73DA40E9-2969-47CD-997B-CAE86CB50FA4.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 14

prcguy

The 8563A is a really good analyzer, probably the best portable you could buy through the 1990s. Just stick a short jumper between the cal output and main input and do an auto cal, it should be just fine. Some had RBW down to 1Hz and an almost infinite sweep time, perfect for doing antenna pattern measurements.

I just ordered the analyzer from Amazon. It will be fun to play with. Also found an older one at work in someone’s office. I going to see if it works and if I can take it home for a day or two to compare the two. A little over due for a calibration. It expired in 2012🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.