• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

SIGNALING!??? Talk permit tone question

Status
Not open for further replies.

zentrilo

Premium Subscriber
I have an Motorola xts 2500 model 3 conventional model!

Im tryin to get the talk permit tone (like the Motorola chirp sound)
Without using the astro signaling or trunking!

Is there a way or hack or trick maybe with DTMF

I want to press my PTT and here the chirp TPT tone

RKG

Why?

The "talk permit" tone has a specific significance, which is relevant only to trunked radio.

W2NJS

FWIW, and don't ask me why they did it because it serves no purpose, but Motorola has put the talk permit tone on their TRBO portables and you can activate it when using analog FM. AFAIK this is the only instance/radio where this is possible.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Why?

The "talk permit" tone has a specific significance, which is relevant only to trunked radio.

Some people just like the sound, I have done this with my HT1000's before.

zentrilo

Premium Subscriber
So is there a way to. Get the TPT CHIRP? on. My
Xts 2500 conventional

W2NJS

This has often been discussed over on Batboard • Index page. If you search there you will find several references to claims that a TP tone can be generated on an XTS radio. As I recall the procedure was somewhat lengthy and tricky.

However, as a standard procedure, absent any trunked program transmit capability, the answer is no.

bezking

This has often been discussed over on Batboard • Index page. If you search there you will find several references to claims that a TP tone can be generated on an XTS radio. As I recall the procedure was somewhat lengthy and tricky.

However, as a standard procedure, absent any trunked program transmit capability, the answer is no.
Yup, the DVRS procedure is rather complicated and it basically only works if you are using a Quantar, which you trick the XTS into thinking is a DVRS.

For normal everyday use, the answer is it can't be done.

zentrilo

Premium Subscriber
Chirp? TPT

So no one knows how i can get the chirp TPT on my xts2500 conventional??

withouth using ASTRO systems and DVRS!

Hoping maybe like the Apperant Cheat that is used on the HT1000.

Does anyone have any ideas?

bezking

The thing for the HT1000 actually sends the tone over the air when you press PTT, which will become very annoying to whoever you're talking to.

There's no way to do it, period.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
The thing for the HT1000 actually sends the tone over the air when you press PTT, which will become very annoying to whoever you're talking to.

There's no way to do it, period.

Yes and no...yes on simplex but its so fast you hardly notice it. No on a repeater cause again the its so fast the repeater wont have enough time to pick it up and re-transmit it..well at least the repeaters in my area. I have been doing this for a while with my HT1000 and no one ever has had an issue or even notice the tones at the beginning of the transmission. But then again what ever numbers you put for the DTMF on the HT1000 to get the talk permit tone can really screw with a repeater's controller. I know with my clubs repeaters that if you press # it clears the controllers buffer witch is a good thing if some one kept pressing a bunch of buttons on their DTMF keypad on their radio.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
And the trick only works with the HT/JT1000 and Visar. No one's been able to replicate it with any other radio.

fdnyradio

Premium Subscriber
Ok...I have both an XTS2500 M3 and an XTS5000 M3.....The XTS 2500 is not capable of doing the Ready to Talk tone.....Unless it is on a trunked system and in that case its automatic. The XTS 5000 however is capable of it if you have Pre-Transmission MDC set up on a frequency with the option enabled for a SHORT Push To Talk Sidetone as the MDC is being sent over. So setting up a simple Pre-Transmission MDC Code on a 5000 will give you the double tone I believe your speaking of. The 2500 though definatly cant do it on analog. And as you probobly know Astro RSS is not exactly easy to play with

bezking

MDC Short Sidetone and Talk Permit Tones aren't the same thing. MDC Short Sidetone is a single beep, while the TPT is a chirp.

Status
Not open for further replies.