SignaLink Bi-Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd5ywa

I am ready to throw my SignaLink across the room. One day it works, the next it doesn't... I have notes from over the years on how to set the dumb thing up, each time it is different.

YouTube movies as well all seem to have a different configuration.

Is there a way to do digital modes WITHOUT an external usb sound card? Can I just use my computer's sound card?

I am running a Yaesu FT-897D with Ham Radio Deluxe....

I just feel like I am goofing around with this little box more then I am having fun on the air.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Is there a way to do digital modes WITHOUT an external usb sound card?
Yes. Get a radio that has a built-in USB sound card: Icom IC-7100, IC-7200, IC-7300, IC-7410, IC-7600, IC-9100, Kenwood TS-590SG, Yaesu FT-991A. At least with the Icom's the only interface you will need between your computer for both sound card digital modes and rig control is a USB A to USB B cable.

Can I just use my computer's sound card?
Yes. You can use separate audio cables to patch the speaker audio from your computer's sound card to the mic audio of your radio and to patch the speaker audio from your radio to the mic or line in audio of your computer's sound card. You will have to come up with some means of keying the radio. You could build a little VOX circuit (which is basically what the SignaLink does) or use the VOX in your radio or a simple transistor switch triggered by a serial or parallel port on your computer.

I am running a Yaesu FT-897D with Ham Radio Deluxe.
You mean that you are running DM780, the sound card digital add-on program for HRD. First question, is your copy of HRD/DM780 current?

Second question, have you considered abandoning HRD/DM780 for a while so you can figure out your issues with a simpler sound card digital program like fldigi or Digipan or MixW?

kd5ywa

Yes, I am going to give Digipan a try. I also remembered yesterday that I had purchased a data cable with a little sound card yesterday. It seemed to work, I could hear myself with a SW radio, (for what all that is worth) but I am going to see if I can contact some of my friends up north to see if they can work with me, and see if they can hear me. I also found a very post regarding Digital VOX, but I could not tell if the computer was triggering the radio, or the audio.

I do like my Yaesu, but the internal sound card sounds nice. I found a NUE-PSK for portable operations, that is will research.

Thank you all so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.