Signals on 489 Khz LW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishmole

Premium Subscriber
Tonight I heard a new signal on 489 khz and wonder what it is. I was using a Grundig Buzz Aldrin SW/LW/Aircraft radio with only the small attached whip. The signal was full strength here at my location in Newburgh, NY
The signal had ticks almost like a time station and had three short beeps every 10 seconds or so.
This is the first time I have heard any activity on that frequency. At 335 Khz there is the SW beacon for Stewart Airport.
Has anyone heard something like this before?

WA8ZTZ

The fact that the signal is so strong probably indicates local interference. Try using your portable receiver as a direction finder and hunt around inside your QTH for the source... modem, appliances, etc.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If the beeps are at exact 1-second intervals it may be a time station. Some use the beeps and ticks to indicate the current time.

majoco

Stirrer
489kHz is at the high frequency end of the old marine CW band but I believe a portion of that band has been allocated to amateurs with privileges and strict emission requirements.

WA8ZTZ

489kHz is at the high frequency end of the old marine CW band but I believe a portion of that band has been allocated to amateurs with privileges and strict emission requirements.

472-479 (aka 630 meters)... still "experimental" here in the States but apparently you Kiwis can use it with limitations.

WA8ZTZ

Some other RFI/EMI sources that may tick or beep: smart meters, furnace control board, battery chargers, home security system, smoke/CO detectors. Unfortunately, the list goes on and on... just about any digital counting or clock circuit can be the source.

490 is a NAVTEX freq, but those transmissions sound sort of like RTTY. Fishnet buoy?

Have never heard anything on or near that freq that sounds like what you describe so, if it turns out to be a legitimate time or other utility station, let us know. You may have discovered something new.

majoco

Stirrer
Somebody posted a youTube video of a navtex signal on 489kHz but failed to say where he was located, time of day or any useful information at all. I find this all too prevalent on Ytube - why bother listening to some a signal of Radio Diddley if they don't give enough information enable you to say "wow, that's amazing" when the station may be just down the road and the poster doesn't know what he's talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.