Significant Flooding Event - Howard/Baltimore County

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Significant flooding currently occurring in Baltimore/Howard Counties. Large flood has occurred in Ellicott City.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Significant flooding currently occurring in Baltimore/Howard Counties. Large flood has occurred in Ellicott City.

TG 7512 is pretty active, ENC, but looks like NRP Area 6 Tac. Not sure if it has anything to do with flooding.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It's been on numerous networks and even on the CBS news 24 hour app on FireTV. Pretty ugly flooding situation. Nothing happening here in the Bowie area - all the storms seem to be above and below us, for the moment

Mike

Mark

Premium Subscriber
The topography for rain around there is worse than Port Deposit which sits on the
banks of the Susskie up against a granite cliff.
Maybe time to hang up on that town location. Insurance would seem impossible after this last rain.
6-9 inches of rain should not destroy any town like that.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
This incident must have operated on the Howard system for the most part. There was a little bit of resource coordination on AA Co TGs, but surprisingly little traffic on First, apart from SHA TGs. They had swift water units from various jurisdictions including NoVA - does anyone know what channels they operated on?

troymail

Silent Key
Hard to believe this has happened again in less than 2 years -- I guess after the last event, they just rebuilt downtown but still really haven't addressed the source of the problems...

This incident must have operated on the Howard system for the most part. There was a little bit of resource coordination on AA Co TGs, but surprisingly little traffic on First, apart from SHA TGs. They had swift water units from various jurisdictions including NoVA - does anyone know what channels they operated on?

These types of things are generally initially a "local jurisdiction" event. Surrounding jurisdictions and the state will send help on request but operations will generally be under local jurisdiction control and therefore on their system and/or standard frequencies (i.e. 8TACs). State and federal support will roll in over time and then you may see more activity and/or patching on the systems.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
8TACs in the Patapsco River valley - what could possibly go wrong?

I was curious if NCR jurisdictions like Montgomery County, PG and Fairfax County have their radios set up for operating directly on the Howard system. I'm sure Montgomery and PG do, because they routinely run mutual aid into Howard. But I wonder if Fairfax does? Not sure what the MWCOG policy is for their partner jurisdictions who might be called into bordering (non-NCR) jurisdictions outside of their region.

marksmith

Yes it was. Not much on First, and that seemed mostly encoded. TG 7512.

On the Howard System today, highways are very active along with Delta 1 and Delta 2 fire and Incident 10 talkgroups. The latter seems to be the main control channel.

A new TG 34032 seemed very active this morning inspecting building safety by address all morning. I suspect this group might not have been county but a special group brought in for assessment.

Hearing lots of activity as they are recovering cars and reading off tag numbers for someone to run, etc.

Sounds very much like deja vu as I monitored this same event on July 30 2016.

Mark
536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

maus92

Premium Subscriber
7512 is in the DNR range, one digit away from 7511, the NRP Area 6 operating TG. Seen some Joins on it today. My guess is that it has something to do with Patapsco Valley State Park. Logically it would be Area 6's TAC channel, but Patapsco SP is not in Area 6 (it's Area 5.) DNR TG mapping doesn't seem to be very organized.

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
It may not seem logical to you or because you don’t know how they actually have it laid out and for what purposes. Maybe you all should stop second guessing and once the system talkgroups are final and we actually have the talkgroup names and purposes you can armchair quarterback from there.

marksmith

7512 is in the DNR range, one digit away from 7511, the NRP Area 6 operating TG. Seen some Joins on it today. My guess is that it has something to do with Patapsco Valley State Park. Logically it would be Area 6's TAC channel, but Patapsco SP is not in Area 6 (it's Area 5.) DNR TG mapping doesn't seem to be very organized.
DNR has recently been using TG'S in the clear. This one came up because of search with no description. I see in the database it's now green and described.

I am guessing the reason it was encrypted is its 'tac' channel status.

In any case, it was quite active (enough to eventually lock it out) and I suspect PVSP had tons of water through it last night.

Mark

maus92

Premium Subscriber
It may not seem logical to you or because you don’t know how they actually have it laid out and for what purposes. Maybe you all should stop second guessing and once the system talkgroups are final and we actually have the talkgroup names and purposes you can armchair quarterback from there.

Who spit in your Cheerios today?

Yea, all we can do is observe, deduce and speculate. Part of the fun.

The armchair quarterback comment was out of line - way out of the spirit of this board.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
DNR has recently been using TG'S in the clear. This one came up because of search with no description. I see in the database it's now green and described.

I am guessing the reason it was encrypted is its 'tac' channel status.

In any case, it was quite active (enough to eventually lock it out) and I suspect PVSP had tons of water through it last night.

Mark

Yea, interesting that it's been submitted, along with a few other new TGs. I've just been watching the traffic on UT2 - not actually listening.

Also looking at the TG logs, 7521 and 7522 were active today, and 7506 and 7516 were active Friday. Got some more now that I've sorted it.

Last edited:

marksmith

Yea, interesting that it's been submitted, along with a few other new TGs. I've just been watching the traffic on UT2 - not actually listening.

Also looking at the TG logs, 7521 and 7522 were active today, and 7506 and 7516 were active Friday. Got some more now that I've sorted it.
Also note.... PVSP appears to have its own 7566 and State Parks in general as 7565. Maybe they were active, but I didn't hear them.

Mark

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Also note.... PVSP appears to have its own 7566 and State Parks in general as 7565. Maybe they were active, but I didn't hear them.

Mark

7550, 7565, & 7566 all were pretty active last night in coordinating with DNR communications about park rangers and vehicles stuck in the park. There was discussion on the talkgroups about damage and water levels.

marksmith

7550, 7565, & 7566 all were pretty active last night in coordinating with DNR communications about park rangers and vehicles stuck in the park. There was discussion on the talkgroups about damage and water levels.
Interesting... missed that.

Had FiRST on search, but didn't have these talk groups described. .. must have prioritized my listening to the radio with Howard, which was running constantly with Swiftwater rescues and other somewhat frantic activity.

Just saw the descriptions for these new talkgroups today.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.