Sikeston resident needing assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZK1975

Premium Subscriber
Hello everybody. I'm looking to get myself a radio to be able to be "in the know" with the happenings of the area and with my little handheld uniden from maaany years ago suddenly not picking up anything at all, decided to buy a new uniden BC355C thinking it was just an old scanner not picking up anything any longer. This scanner has tons of cool features and seems like a great idea, but not listening to anything but some random morse codes from time to time or jimbob telling someone else he's checking on some pipes in some random area. Also getting the random ambulance en route somewhere. Upon reading around and filing through what seemed to be hundreds of frequencies and other codes, I find out that most of the entire area has gone digital/trunking. True? If so.. what scanner is recommended for someone who is just getting back in to being able to listen to the activities in town? Not really wanting to dump a TON of money, though I know from being in the computer hobby you get what you pay for.. Need something compatible with the Sikeston area and should be for quite some time. I've noticed a few have the uniden 996XT, but almost $500?? Don't know that I need something that fancy to listen to the cop driving down the street, just yet. Thanks for listening to me ramble and hope to hear from someone soon!

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
There is things that a 300 to 500 dollar scanner will hear in your area but this no scanner will hear
Sike PD3 MT Police: MOTOTRBO TRBO that is sikeston pd channel 3
this is the trunking info for sikeston and this will not scan with any scanner on the market.
3401 d49 E SikesPD Enc1 Sikeston Police: Encrypted
as listed its encrypted you can not hear it
but this talkgroup you can hear with a scanner that has P25 Digital 106 197 pro 18 gre 500 gre 600 gre 800 uniden 996xt the Radioshack 106 197 onsale 299.00 for a few more days
3402 d4a D Sikes Police Police: Dispatch

ZK1975

Premium Subscriber
There is things that a 300 to 500 dollar scanner will hear in your area but this no scanner will hear
this is the trunking info for sikeston and this will not scan with any scanner on the market.
but this talkgroup you can hear with a scanner that has P25 Digital 106 197 pro 18 gre 500 gre 600 gre 800 uniden 996xt the Radioshack 106 197 onsale 299.00 for a few more days

Thanks for the response. I knew I'd not hear the encrypted calls, I never expected to hear them. I'm at a situation now where I don't hear ANYTHING. That's all I'm after is a radio that is on par with what my local DPS/Fire/Ambulances are on so that when they're making their regular calls and what not, I can hear them. I'm NOT tech savvy enough to understand all the codes and lingo of what radios listen to what, and what is broadcasted. This unit that is onsale any good? I want something that's good enough to keep me interested in the hobby, yet not so expensive I can't afford it. I understand you get what you pay for and I'm willing to spend around $300, but if there's a unit that is "good enough" for $300 then no sense in spending $400 for probable bells and whistles I'd probably not really use. I'll check out what you listeded. I know that uniden 996xt is runnin around $470 which is really out of my budget. This time of year I got higher priorities to spend that kind of cash on than a police scanner. :)

ZK1975

Premium Subscriber
Ok, this Pro197 is a $400 scanner on sale for $300. Mentions pc programming and folks using this site to get the codes and such.. got a couple days before i bite the bullet. Anyone feel that for a n00b in the digital trunking police scanning world I should NOT get this radio?

kpoe_28

Ok, this Pro197 is a $400 scanner on sale for $300. Mentions pc programming and folks using this site to get the codes and such.. got a couple days before i bite the bullet. Anyone feel that for a n00b in the digital trunking police scanning world I should NOT get this radio?
I think you'll be happy with it. I have a 197, it does a good job.I have it dedicated to the new MOSWIN system as it slowly comes on air. I listen to Sikeston/EMS pretty much everyday.

semo

Sikeston PD channel 3 (159.015) was the old car to car channel, it is now part of MOSWIN. Channel 10 (159.150) was conventional digital. I am not aware of Sikeston ever using TRBO. Anyway, the majority of Sikeston traffic is on MOSWIN. Encrypted talkgroups are used occasionally. Luckily Sikeston DPS can be heard with a digital scanner or online in the live audio section of this site.

ZK1975

Premium Subscriber
Well.. I got the Pro197 at a local RS for $299. Got the usb cable a 2yr warranty. Got it home and did the install of the software and setup the cable drivers.. browsed through and downloaded all the sites I believe I want/need. Could NOT get the ARC500 software to import. Fought it for quite a while, then once I figured that part out I uploaded to the scanner.. nothing. Rechecked, reupped.. nothing. I tried everything but for whatever reason I could NOT get the scanner to accept anything I sent. Then after a few hours of trying and wiki searching I actually pressed a button and got the scanner out of it's original "manual setup" type screen and all of a sudden it started showing the upload status and I about had a stroke. Now I'm having a friggin blast. Set up my LEDS by department.. Red for Fire, Blue for Police, White for EMS and Green for misc. I'm happy as can be.. mainly because I figured it out on my own. At the end of it all it was the STUPIDEST thing that held me back. Guess I overthought the whole process. Anyway now this radio is chattering up a storm just like I expected. Awesome clarity and great signal and I'm listening to it in my mancave in a basement. One question I do have is how to better customize what status are shown when a call is picked up.. some stuff says TSYS at the bottom and would like to not only be able to glance at the LED and atleast know what Department it is. Oh well.. now to setup the WX and SAME codes.. but that's for after a good night's rest. Getting settled in to this site pretty good after a few days. Hope all these codes and call signs and stuff become much more understandable soon. Probably help me be able to know which groups are mine that i want to get.

ZK1975

Premium Subscriber
Radio issues?

Ok, I've got something strange going on with my RS PRO197.. it appears the programmed talkgroups are going away and either becoming unscannable or simply disappearing. I notice the radio being awful quiet and upon viewing.. the "T" symbol isn't showing up at all. I have it scan only the first channel where a talkgroup is, and it says there's nothing to scan. To fix the issue I just reupload the arc500 file and it's all back to normal. I don't think this is normal operation, though. Anyone know what's up?

Last edited:

ZK1975

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone hearing Sikeston PD on MOSWIN in the past few days? They have disappeared on mine.

Well, that's what is happening to mine. I lose their DPS and EMS and reloading the info back on to the scanner fixes it for a week or so. It's the strangest thing..

semo

Sikeston uses the 700 Mhz tower for its traffic. Some of the units are also affiliated and heard on the Bloomfield tower. Listening to the Bloomfield tower only will cause you to miss traffic. The Sikeston 700 tower is what needs to be scanned for Sikeston police. VHF doesnt seem to work well there so they have to use 700 MHz. I do receive Sikeston daily. Occasionally I have trouble receiving the Sikeston tower due to distance and weather and miss some traffic as a result.

Using a PSR 500 or 600 near Sikeston for MOSWIN will cause a need to use the ATT feature. I have found I often miss local VHF traffic also. This issue with GRE's and VHF has been discussed here multiple times.

For those not hearing Sikeston have you tried using Pro96com to see if you can log talkgroups and ids and listen to the online feed at the same time. Although there is a delay you might be able to tell if the radio is having a problem decoding.

zzdiesel

I get the T indicator on my 800 on MOSWIN, but I don't know from which tower. It must be from Sikeston or Bloomfield, but it heard no traffic. I have wildcards programmed on all 3 of my radios. They are turning off the Bakerville tower when they're not testing on it.

ZK1975

Premium Subscriber
Sikeston uses the 700 Mhz tower for its traffic. Some of the units are also affiliated and heard on the Bloomfield tower. Listening to the Bloomfield tower only will cause you to miss traffic. The Sikeston 700 tower is what needs to be scanned for Sikeston police. VHF doesnt seem to work well there so they have to use 700 MHz. I do receive Sikeston daily. Occasionally I have trouble receiving the Sikeston tower due to distance and weather and miss some traffic as a result.

Using a PSR 500 or 600 near Sikeston for MOSWIN will cause a need to use the ATT feature. I have found I often miss local VHF traffic also. This issue with GRE's and VHF has been discussed here multiple times.

For those not hearing Sikeston have you tried using Pro96com to see if you can log talkgroups and ids and listen to the online feed at the same time. Although there is a delay you might be able to tell if the radio is having a problem decoding.

I am IN sikeston and I have the 32xx talkgroups loaded for our DPS and EMS and I have no trouble listening or picking up what appears to be all non-encrypted information. What seems to be going on is the radio itself loses the talkgroup info in the list and becomes pretty much dead. If i shut off scanning of all channels except those MOSWIN.. it shows the message on screen of "nothing selected" or whatever.. I reupload the same file i always do and immediately the MOSWIN "T" flashes and I get my full signal strength bar up and i'm back in business. Just haven't decided why it does that. It doesn't come and go.. it just goes. Don't know if i lose it shutting the radio off or if it drops the info at random. I just upgraded the DSP to 1.4, as it has been 1.3 since i bought it. Not sure if this will solve the issue or not, but it's worth a try.

zzdiesel

This is so weird. I was hearing Sikeston DPS & Fire and the Scott Co EMS loud & clear everyday on the VHF on all 3 of my radios and occasionally on the 700's. Now I seldom hear anything on MOSWIN besides the 84 TG testing. I wonder if they're "tricking" or radios or something.

semo

I am IN sikeston and I have the 32xx talkgroups loaded for our DPS and EMS and I have no trouble listening or picking up what appears to be all non-encrypted information. What seems to be going on is the radio itself loses the talkgroup info in the list and becomes pretty much dead. If i shut off scanning of all channels except those MOSWIN.. it shows the message on screen of "nothing selected" or whatever.. I reupload the same file i always do and immediately the MOSWIN "T" flashes and I get my full signal strength bar up and i'm back in business. Just haven't decided why it does that. It doesn't come and go.. it just goes. Don't know if i lose it shutting the radio off or if it drops the info at random. I just upgraded the DSP to 1.4, as it has been 1.3 since i bought it. Not sure if this will solve the issue or not, but it's worth a try.

Gotcha. My PSR 500 will lose the MOSWIN system from my radio without warning too. It loses everything related to the system too, all talkgroups including radio ids. This happens every few weeks. I only found out what was going on by downloading the radio and noticing all MOSWIN related info was disappearing from the radio without warning. All other systems remain including AWIN from Arkansas. I have no idea what causes it or how to fix it. I thought that dropping the radio might cause the problem but now I see others are having the same issue with MOSWIN. I use the latest firmware and it still happens.

I have not had this issue with a Uniden 996xt yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.