Silent Key - Broadcaster Art Bell 72 - W6OBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael-SATX

Hello with some sad news to report,

I am now listenning to Coast 2 Coast AM on our WOAI 1200 AM station in San Antonio, TX tonight
and radio host George Nooray just announced that Art Bell has died today at 72 years old at his home
in Pahrump Nevada,” the Sheriff’s Department in Nye County, Nevada has just confirmed this as true.
Many truckers and midnight oil burning folks worldwide were entertained and kept awake by his shows.

Art Bell became a licensed amateur radio operator at the age of 13. His first call sign
was KN3JOX, first listed in the Winter 1959 edition of the Radio Amateur Callbook.
Shortly after he soon upgraded to K3JOX, and he later held W2CKS, first listed in
the Spring 1967 Callbook. Bell holds an Amateur Extra Class License which is W6OBB.
Art Bells Okinawa callsign was KR6BK. Art Bell passed away on Friday the 13th 2018 !
To read more about his life history you can continue by clicking on this wikipedia link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Bell

https://heavy.com/news/2018/04/art-bell-dead-cause-of-death-dies-how/

fasteddy64

I was fortunate enough to make a contact with Art on 6 meters last year. One of the highlights of my ham radio experiences.

SCPD

QRT
Rest in peace - Go find out the truth of what's out there and thank you for the years of good radio!

frazpo

Kept me awake and entertained while on patrol in my LE days. Sad to hear. His voice was great for late night. He even sounded intriguing.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
RIP Mr. Bell! TY for all the years of entertainment and knowledge during long nights sitting at a VFD waiting for tones to drop, and doing overnight security jobs!

Michael-SATX

I forgot to mention in my original post that Art Bell was the founder of Coast to Coast AM back in 1993.
Syndicated nationally Coast to Coast AM soon became a juggernaut and bonafide radio phenomenon.
When Art Bell retired from hosting full-time in 2002 C2C had 500+ stations and today they have 600+
in the U.S., Canada, Mexico and Guam, the most listened to overnight radio program in North America.

I recall I started to tune in to C2C around the time of the urban legend Mel's Hole show aired in 1997.
Even today I hit the sleep timer on my bedside radio to catch the news intro and later fall asleep etc.
Does anybody else have any fond memories of favorite shows they can recall listening to on C2C ?

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/r-i-p-art-bell-1945-2018/

baj76

Uniden fanboy
RIP Mr Bell...BTW I loved it when that guy JC would call in to C2C..That guy was hilarious

Craigmoe

Premium Subscriber
I too had the extreme pleasure to chat with Art Bell on 10 meters in 2015. One of the few times I have enjoyed ham radio. Rest In Peace Art Bell, '73.....

AlphaFive

So tough to hear

Being out on patrol in the nineties, 3 a.m., loved his bumper music, Crystal Gayle, whom he adored, or the song "Blown it all Sky High".. He loved everything about radio

ka1njl

RIP

While I didn't often agree with his beliefs I firmly believe that we need people like Mr. Bell to encourage thinking outside of the box. He was a true pioneer and he will be missed.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
I remember back in 2002 I had my shortwave radio and I held it next to our phone line to see if I could hear our telephone line. As I tuned the knob I came across a radio station talking about alines and UFOs. I went inside to listen to the show and from then on I was hooked. The Halloween shows were especially creepy and some shows gave you the goosebumps. The show had the ability to draw you in and stay up all night. I read at the Coast To Coast website that Art has a world record of being on the air the longest of some 114 hours or something. Pretty damn impressive.

I hope Art now has the answers to the universe that he often talked about with guests and callers. May he rest in peace.

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Premium Subscriber
No way!

This is the first I am hearing of his passing. Gosh, what memories!

Status
Not open for further replies.