Silent Key - Lou Maag - W5QHS

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
It goes without saying that our hearts are heavy today. Lou Maag passed away last night at age 64 after struggling with cancer. He was surrounded by his wife and family and went peacefully.

Lou was one of our first database administrators, going all the way back to the days of trunkedradio.net. And as many know, he was a guiding force in making sure the forums ran smoothly as a very active moderator. It is hard to emphasize enough how much impact Lou had in this community.

He will be sorely missed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 12.09.45 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 12.09.45 PM.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 9,207

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
He was kind and very helpful to me when I first became involved in the community. He will be missed. Healing thoughts to his family.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I am heartbroken over hearing about Lou's passing.
He was a mentor to me not only here at RR.com but also life in general.
He helped me become a better forum moderator here and a better person in
general.
I will forever use the guidance he gave me.
My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.
Marshall Sherard KE4ZNR

SCPD

QRT
Lou was a awesome human being.

If I remember right, Lou served his community as a police officer before moving on to a career in IT. His wife worked as an ER Nurse.

When tools like LTRanalyzer first appeared about ten years ago - Lou - along with Rich Carlson - mapped out all the LTR systems in the greater Houston area.

As a "global" forum moderator, Lou helped keep the forums sane. He interceded when discourse turned to tirade. Inappropriate posts were cleaned up. Offending members were suspended or banned out right. This was a thankless job that drew the ire of fellow RR forum members when their behavior was anything but its best.

Urban Dictionary: loumaag

That should make it clear as to the nonsense directed towards Lou. We all owe him a debt of gratitude.

We miss you Lou!

-rick

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I had "known" Lou from the local Yahoo Group (HoustonScan) for years, but didn't get to personally know him until he asked me to be a moderator here. His no nonsense attitude kept people in line both here and on the HoustonScan group.

I wish I had the drive to get to know him outside RR and the Yahoo group sooner, but I didn't...my loss.

Anyway, R.I.P. Lou, you will be missed.

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
Sad to read this!

He tolerated a bunch of my silly questions when I joined. I always enjoyed reading his posts to the folks asking the same silly questions after me.

He has guided many. His dedication and knowledge will be missed.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
The RR family has lost a giant. Never dealt with Lou directly, which could be a good thing. But was always aware of his presence.

Condolences to his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.