Silent Key Ups on 160.830 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogrules

Does anyone know what is up with all the silent key-ups on 160.830 MHz (old nj transit pd frequency)?

Analogrules

Yeah, I wonder if it is someone bored who has nothing better to do, or if it is NJ Transit themselves conducting tests on it. It just seems to be happening constantly. I can't even keep it programmed in my scanner anymore because it has become so annoying.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
The silent key ups have started ever since NJ Transit PD switched to 700/800 system few years ago. If memories serves me correctly it was a bi-directional link during the migration from VHF to 7/800 but after the migration is well completed, they never bothered to take it down and probably that's what caused the silent key ups

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
If memories serves me correctly it was a bi-directional link during the migration from VHF to 7/800 but after the migration is well completed, they never bothered to take it down and probably that's what caused the silent key ups

Correct.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
Its actually due to their receivers. They have 1 or 2 receivers that are tripping and causing the simulcast to key up. Not user activity. It should be diagnosed at some point to see if its a true receiver problem or a phone line problem from one of the receiver sites. Easy and temp fix is to disable the offending receiver.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Its actually due to their receivers. They have 1 or 2 receivers that are tripping and causing the simulcast to key up. Not user activity. It should be diagnosed at some point to see if its a true receiver problem or a phone line problem from one of the receiver sites. Easy and temp fix is to disable the offending receiver.

Right, but C&S (Communications & Signals) has repeatedly stated it's happening because of the bidirectional link.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
Right, but C&S (Communications & Signals) has repeatedly stated it's happening because of the bidirectional link.

Easy to disable the SQM card so nothing coming in from the remote location can trigger the repeater...that takes care of that!

Status
Not open for further replies.