Silent Transmissions in Lake Dallas, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norpyx

Premium Subscriber
Hey all,

Please excuse my newbishness... I was down in Lake Dallas recently and tuned in to 158.955 and adjusted my DCS to D074N as mentioned in the RR Database. I seemed to be able to pick up something but all I could hear is silence every time. The activity had a variable duration and seemed to be in clusters. Every once in a while I'd being receiving something, but no sound would come out of my radio.

My assumption is that this is due to encryption, but I assume this in light of my ignorance when it comes to radios at the current moment. Did my tone need adjustment? Are the transmissions encrypted? Or...?

I'm trying to familiarize myself with radios as best as I can to satisfy my curiosity. Out of curiosity, and at times when there's minimal repeater chatter, I'm always trying to listen in to Police, Fire, or other Emergency frequencies, mainly due to the fact that I'm confident they'll typically have a consistent level of activity.

Anyway, any help would be great. Thanks! :)

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Details

Hey all,

Please excuse my newbishness... I was down in Lake Dallas recently and tuned in to 158.955 and adjusted my DCS to D074N as mentioned in the RR Database. I seemed to be able to pick up something but all I could hear is silence every time. The activity had a variable duration and seemed to be in clusters. Every once in a while I'd being receiving something, but no sound would come out of my radio.

My assumption is that this is due to encryption, but I assume this in light of my ignorance when it comes to radios at the current moment. Did my tone need adjustment? Are the transmissions encrypted? Or...?

I'm trying to familiarize myself with radios as best as I can to satisfy my curiosity. Out of curiosity, and at times when there's minimal repeater chatter, I'm always trying to listen in to Police, Fire, or other Emergency frequencies, mainly due to the fact that I'm confident they'll typically have a consistent level of activity.

Anyway, any help would be great. Thanks! :)

First of all, what radio are you using?

When I looked at the RR DB for Denton County, I never saw any "N" following the DPL listed. Tell me what happens when you program 074 in the DCS squelch code.

Also, I checked the emission codes & found all analog transmissions. I suppose there is also a possibility that they are using very low power since radio traffic carries over open water. But, I'm just guessing.

I see nothing indicating the presence of encryption.

Last edited:

nd5y

Most real radios allow programming DPL/DCS codes as normal (N) or inverted (I). I don't think any scanners have that capability.

It is always a bad idea to program tones in a scanner unless you need them to reduce interference. If the tone changes or they changed to digital then you won't hear anything at all and will wonder what happened. Program your scanner for tone search or no tone and see if you hear anything. Maybe they changed tones or changed to didgital.

Maybe they quit using their VHF frequency. The database shows they have a talkgroup (29520) on the Lewisville trunked system. Lewisville Public Safety Trunking System, Lewisville, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
Lake Dallas

Think Tom might be correct as I thought I heard Lake Dallas on the Digital side the other night...the VHF might be still licensed or depreciated - not sure..I would load up the Lewisville and Denton County TRS as lot of activity at times, especial on Denton County Fire..

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
BTW, there is a non-inverted value for each inverted value so scanners can program the XOR of the inverted value.

Russell

Last edited:

wtp

idk but

open carrier could be from a ltr radio
when you listen in the conventional mode you get a dead key every once and a while
there is some vhf ltr stuff in the neighborhood so who knows, new channel?

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
Anyone able to pick up Lake Dallas in the DFW area? I will try later today on the TRS side and if I remember look at the VHF Conventional as might be a noted above...

Stephen

I am listening to their VHF channel to see if I pick up anything. I know I have heard their units on the Denton County Patrol - 2 Channel, because their neighbor cities of Hickory Creek and Corinth Police (Who patrol Corinth and Shady Shores) both use that channel. I know for a while they were on the Lewisville TRS. Who knows they have moved a couple of times in the last couple of years, and I believe still keep the VHF channel as a back up / Alternate / and talk around.

bwillcox

They are not using the VHF channel at this time but keep it around as a backup. Currently their PD is on the Lewisville system on the TG noted earlier up thread.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.