Simple ADSB decoding on a PC ... question

below500kc

Hello, I'd like to ask a question concerning ADSB decoding on a desktop pc. First, some background. I'm not a newbie at this, but I've been out of the "game" for several years. I was decoding ADSB using a Linux laptop running dump1090, cabled to a rtl-sdr underneath a 1/4 wave GP up about 25 ft. I did well with decoding 'craft and was uploading to ADSBexchange.

Here's the question: Condition 1... now, due to my internet limitations, I cannot upload data to any server. Besides, I don't want to upload but simply want to see 'craft on my pc monitor, superimposed on some sort of map program. I can do windows or Linux, no problem. I don't want to pay to use a map program. That's all I want to do... just watch the 'craft I'm able to decode with my own hardware/setup. Yes, I know I can just monitor planes online but I want to do this with my own equipment, not necessarily using the 'net at all.

Can I do this or not? I have antenna, cables, rtl-sdr, desktop pc... just need some advice ... thanks.

Ray

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I do this on windows pc using dump1090 and virtual radar software Getting about 120 mile range using a 1/4 wave 800mhz antenna.

morfis

If you still have your old setup then use that. Add tar1090 for the web interface (it's what the adsbexchange one is based on after swapping away from VRS?). Remove the code that was feeding to third party if you explicitly don't want to send data to anyone else.
If you don't want to use the old laptop you could acomplish the same for little cost by using a single board computer like a raspberry pi (even an older one will do if it's only ads-b you want).

below500kc

Unfortunately, I don't have that old laptop, so I'll be starting from scratch software-wise. I don't want to upload data at all. So from your replies, my simple adsb station looks do-able. I'd consider that pi after I got the pc going. If an older one would be fine for adsb, that would be something I'd look into. Thanks for the software advice my friends, as well as the hardware idea. Now I have something to move ahead with.
(y)

below500kc

Got what I wanted working... but...
Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but the current versions of dump1090 will not let me just open my web browser and produce a map. They reject the option of "localhost:8080". That looks to be on purpose, as it seems it wishes you to use and upload via their own "for profit" websites. I could be wrong, but regardless, "simple" doesn't seem to work with these dump1090 versions (like mutability). I just deleted those unuseable "dumps".

Fortunately, I had saved my old dump1090 in an archived folder. I started up dump1090.bat and was watching data stream in the "dosbox" that appeared. I fired up Firefox browser, typed in localhost:8080, and there it was! Yes, the map was the google "developement only" map, but it worked, and I could see my 'craft and the 'craft data in columns to the right of the map. I downloaded the VRS and it also worked with my browser, with more functions and a better map. Unfortunately, as it runs, it seems to be uploading data continuously... not sure how to shut that off without halting the program. Oh well, I probably need to do more reading on VRS. Anyway, I'm happy since the first method seems just fine... the maps just a tad dark, but I can live with that.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
VRS is cool but you have to load your aircraft list and labels to use it offline effectively. That takes some doing. Like you said more reading. Find someone in your area that can share those folders and it will be easier. You'll need a good .SQB file and a operators logo file.

below500kc

737mech, thanks. I've never got that deep into 'craft lists, etc. If I choose to keep using VRS, I'll need to find someone with the folders and file you mention.

morfis

Got what I wanted working... but...
Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but the current versions of dump1090 will not let me just open my web browser and produce a map. They reject the option of "localhost:8080". That looks to be on purpose, as it seems it wishes you to use and upload via their own "for profit" websites. I could be wrong, but regardless, "simple" doesn't seem to work with these dump1090 versions (like mutability). I just deleted those unuseable "dumps".

Fortunately, I had saved my old dump1090 in an archived folder. I started up dump1090.bat and was watching data stream in the "dosbox" that appeared. I fired up Firefox browser, typed in localhost:8080, and there it was! Yes, the map was the google "developement only" map, but it worked, and I could see my 'craft and the 'craft data in columns to the right of the map. I downloaded the VRS and it also worked with my browser, with more functions and a better map. Unfortunately, as it runs, it seems to be uploading data continuously... not sure how to shut that off without halting the program. Oh well, I probably need to do more reading on VRS. Anyway, I'm happy since the first method seems just fine... the maps just a tad dark, but I can live with that.

In one installation I use the Flightaware version of dump1090 installed from gitbub rather than using their images so it doesn't upload unless you specify it.
The idea of cooperative sites being 'for profit' - that's a slightly harsh take on things as they offer you something in return for the data. A good example of this would be FlightAware who allow you to access multilateration data for aircraft in your area which aren't transmitting a GPS position but for which your data has contributed to the pool. This means you can have your local area with better coverage in VRS. You don't have to use whatever else they offer online.
I wonder if the 'for profit' stuff is partly related to the rather strange reaction from hobbyists when adsbexchange was sold. A system built from mostly opensource software with data mainly from volunteers and the person who built the website made a nice wedge. Good luck to him ...sounds like the perfect American Capitalist and worthy of Congressional recognism (more seriously, it irritates me but as I always saw the system as being there to make him money it didn't surprise me at all...after all, I'm here on RR and it quite rightly generates a lovely income for the owner after his hard work developing it into the place we all use)

VRS doesn't, by default, keep uploading outside your own network - if it appears to be doing so then you have 'told' it to.

Websearch using your favourite crawler (presumably not gargoyle or bong as they are 'for p[rofit') and you'll find most of the extra files you need to start customising VRS/acarsdeco/dumvdl etc etc can be downloaded. Whole bulletin boards devoted to the subject (particularly in Europe where this aspect of the aviation hobby tends to lead).

below500kc

I'll look for that Flightaware 1090 on github you're using, as well as the extra files needed to customize VRS. Thanks for your advice Morfis. (y)

cwmpbgh

I have current experience with all currently supported options. A: Download and install SDR Angel, load ADSB configuration, see a list of aircraft as well as a map. Nothing else to download, and you can also feed Virtual Radar Server with it and access your radar at home from anywhere. B:) dump1090 + Virtual Radar Server are the only free, *currently* supported options. Latest versions are from this month July 2023 if I'm not mistaken. One newer option to display your data and can be used with almost any 1090 source is SkyGlass...its so beautiful that it's absolutely captivating to me, please check it out or watch a video about it...stunning 3d graphics and awesome features. It uses adsbexchange and or your own setup as a source.
- I am more than happy to talk you through either option, or help with another option that you want to try..I'm an autistic radio and aviation geek, so this hobby is an intense interest; I love sharing what I've worked hard to find with anyone I can so I can save you all the time searching, and headaches I've endured for the sake of a huge personal passion. Happy secondary surveillance to you!