Simple outdoor antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirkman123

Premium Subscriber
I’m randomly monitoring shortwave in the evenings on a Grundig Satellit 750. I’m using a reel type antenna along the ceiling and it’s a definite improvement over the telescoping built-in antenna. I’m on a second story in my residence, with windows. I’d like to string some wire out to a tree about 50 feet away. There are no impediments in my way; all electric and cable tv lines are buried.

My questions are, what gauge wire is best, and should it be bare or is insulated ok?

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Here is the answer to all of your questions. You can buy one ready-made, or make your own given the description on the PAR site -
- Make your own - EF-SWL Antenna | PAR Electronics | Filters for the commercial 2 way market, MATV, FM broadcast, laboratory, marine industry, amateur radio, scanner and short wave listening enthusiasts
- Buy ready-made - Par End-Fedz EF-SWL Par EndFedz® Antennas | DX Engineering
... and there are others that sell 9-1 baluns with which you can use your own insulated (or uninsulated) wire.

littona

Super Freq
Premium Subscriber
I have a 20W HF transceiver at home, connected to a homemade fan dipole antenna. I made the antenna with a PL-259 plug, a barrier strip, and 4 lengths of telephone frame wire. One set is tuned to 10 meters and the other is tuned to 20 meters. The longest contact I've had so far is from Iowa to New Zealand (7816 miles). Second is to Russia (4757 miles). For receiving, wire gauge isn't critical. You need beefier wires to handle the power when transmitting.

For reference, frame wire is typically insulated 24 gauge wire like this: 1 Pair 24AWG Cross Connect Wire (1000ft spool) - BLUE/WHITE

Insulated wire would help prevent deterioration outside. For longevity, you could go with some UV resistant insulation or go with stainless steel uninsulated wire. With the price of wire being really high right now, there's no need to spend a fortune. If you can find some wire from non-conventional sources, like my phone wire, you can do good. My phone wire had been sitting around my shop unused for the last 10 years, so I decided to put it to good use!

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
The OP's question was about a receive only antenna for shortwave listening (SWL). Unless I misread the question, the OP is looking for:
- Receive only, no transmit for a Grundig Satellit 750
- Wide coverage for all shortwave bands (not just Amateur Radio allocations)
- A single strand of wire from the 2nd story to a tree "about 50 feet away"

W5lz

Size of wire?
It has to be large enough to hold up it's own weight and probably the weight of the feed line. Keep weather conditions in mind, mainly wind. A size or two larger certainly wouldn't hurt.
Insulated?
Insulation tends to 'shorten' a resonant length a 'touch'. Since you'll have to tune it anyway (adjust length for resonance), you'd be factoring in the insulation anyway. Don't worry about it.
Insulation color!
It does make a difference! When the electron leaves the antenna it usually looks back to see where it came from. Use a 'shocking pink' color of insulation and the electron leaves quicker to reduce embarrassment... sort of.

PRMII

Premium Subscriber
And if the OP decides to enter into the World of Ham Radio, they can reference Littona's reply. I am a Ham and SWL. I found that to be as worthy as the rest. If they are looking for something simple, and want to experiment (which I've always enjoyed) then either response is Ok.

prcguy

50ft of 14ga wire, bare or insulated +/- whatever length to reach a distant attachment point and a 9:1 balun. That's a classic great performing SW antenna. Get it as high as you can and if you can get one end up in a tree with the balun at the edge of the house, even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.