Simple question for BCD996XT owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

director373

I got my new rig today, front of box shows a small faceplate covering the frontside computer interface port. I assume it is removable and its purpose is a dust cover / protector for the port, just like the plug in the back of the DB9 port. However, mine did not come with this little piece. So, I called Uniden tech support customer service, and after explaining to them that my radio did not come with the part shown on box, I was placed on hold for about 10 min, only to have the CSR come back on and explain to me that no such part is showing in their 'replacement parts purchase list'. They were of no help to me, except asking if I had the sales receipt, which I do. They suggested sending it back to the retailer for an exchange (too much hassle, and I would probably have to eat the cost of shipping, also).

My question- does the radio actually come with this part?

If so, any ideas on how to get?

Thank-you.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Part

I got my new rig today, front of box shows a small faceplate covering the frontside computer interface port. I assume it is removable and its purpose is a dust cover / protector for the port, just like the plug in the back of the DB9 port. However, mine did not come with this little piece. So, I called Uniden tech support customer service, and after explaining to them that my radio did not come with the part shown on box, I was placed on hold for about 10 min, only to have the CSR come back on and explain to me that no such part is showing in their 'replacement parts purchase list'. They were of no help to me, except asking if I had the sales receipt, which I do. They suggested sending it back to the retailer for an exchange (too much hassle, and I would probably have to eat the cost of shipping, also).

My question- does the radio actually come with this part?

If so, any ideas on how to get?

Thank-you.

Probably something they did to take a picture and somebody decided it cost to much. But mine has no cover either.

bassman21

Yes there should be a rubber cover over it labeled "remote". I'm not going to try and force it, but it looks like it is permanently mounted. I would just live without it on there or you could just return it where you bought it for a new unit.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
As mentioned, there is no such part (front port cover). The jack detail was lost in photo retouch.

I think Bassman21 is referring to the cover over the rear jack, not the front jack.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Yes there should be a rubber cover over it labeled "remote". I'm not going to try and force it, but it looks like it is permanently mounted. I would just live without it on there or you could just return it where you bought it for a new unit.

Wrong.
The original poster was asking about the 996XT, not the 396XT.
The 996XT did NOT come with a cover for the front PC/IF jack.
The picture on the front of the box was a artists conception
pic that was made before the units were in production.
For the record: No cover for the front PC/IF jack.
The first couple of posters were correct.
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
As mentioned, there is no such part (front port cover). The jack detail was lost in photo retouch.

I think Bassman21 is referring to the cover over the rear jack, not the front jack.

Or he is talking about the 396XT. :D

You must have already had your coffee this AM.
Quicker on the draw than I was. Back to my cup of java so I can catch up.
Marshall KE4ZNR

bassman21

Right!!!
Not the first time I confused the 996XT with the 396XT. I guess a port cover would not be as important on a base/mobile as it would be on a hand held. Sorry if I confused you director373.

Last edited:

Kennrth

Premium Subscriber
I bought my BCD996XT awhile back. It came with a dust cover on the front USB-1 port. But no dust covers in the rear. Also has screen protector clear plastic which is still on it.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Dust cover has never been included for the front serial port (there is no USB port).

noaim

Premium Subscriber
Dust cover has never been included for the front serial port (there is no USB port).

My guess also is that people can mistake it as a usb port because the front takes the usb-1 cable that you can purchase along with the serial cable...

ilgrant

I just received a refurbed 996xt and it didn't have a cover on the front. It did have one on the back.

Now...if one wanted one on the front you could do it. I would think you could purchase the dust cover that is on the 396 series, trim to size and apply it on the 996 series.

kman

So has it been confrimed there is a dust cover for the pc/ programing port on the front of a BCD996XT?
or has anyone found anything that works well?

looking for something as i'm in the car in alot of dusty areas and want to try and keep dust out

any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.