Simple question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpswx4cster

What program can I use to view data channel info on a Motorola P25 system with either a 996T and 396T scanner? I want to be able to view what talkgroup a radio is associated with etc... I would also like to use the USB connection if possile.

Many thanks,

Gary Shuford

Last edited:

gpswx4cster

I also need....

Ok..by reading the forums I think that I also need a data slicer correct? Would I need a level 2 or 4 for a Motorola P25 9600 baud system? Doses anybody make a data slicer with USB outputs to a laptop vs serial output?

Thanks

Gary

SCPD

QRT
not that I am aware of, its do it yourself solder & open up your scanner project, Also you can get pro96com. it does nor require the tap, but do need the cable

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
gpswx4cster said:
Ok..by reading the forums I think that I also need a data slicer correct? Would I need a level 2 or 4 for a Motorola P25 9600 baud system? Doses anybody make a data slicer with USB outputs to a laptop vs serial output?

Thanks

Gary
You don't need a data slicer for UniTrunker, just a clean base-band audio signal from the radio. It does not need to be a trunk tracking scanner, any radio that can pick up the necessary frequency and can supply FM discriminator (base-band) audio will work.

Just to correct a couple of often misunderstood concepts, there is no such thing as a "Motorola P25 9600 baud system". There are Motorola systems and there are Project 25 systems, they are not the same. The Project 25 system CCh operates at 9600 bps, not baud. Motorola may indeed supply a client with equipment for a Project 25 system, but there are other vendors that will do the same. Motorola systems (Type I, Type II, Smartzone, etc.) operate a CCh at 3600 bps.

Dewey

To amplify what Lou said... if you think you're really going to fall for radio "decoding", you'll probably be better off finding an old used scanner for less than $100 to do your discriminator tap. This way, you will be able to use the 396 or 996 to follow the conversations that you want. Sure, the 396 and 996 are already trunktrackers, but if you're running Unitrunker from another scanner, you can track through multi level priorites, and by talkgroup and/or radio.

Just my .02,
Dewey

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
And to add to what Dewey says, I have no issue with opening up a scanner to get at the discriminator, but I would rather not open up a fairly new $500 one, when I have lots of older (obsolete) ones that will serve the purpose as well.

gpswx4cster

loumaag said:
I have no issue with opening up a scanner to get at the discriminator, but I would rather not open up a fairly new $500 one, when I have lots of older (obsolete) ones that will serve the purpose as well.

Well, I wish that I could use an older scanner...but the State of Louisiana LATIE system is 700 MHz with only the simulcast system using 800MHz control channels. This only leaves me with the two Unidens that I currently own as being able to recieve 700 MHz.

Gary

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Didn't notice the location when I commented earlier. However, in this case, you can use a Pro-96 or 2096 which can be found on the used market and when programmed with Win96 can be told to receive in the 700 MHz range (although they will not trunk track) and can use the Pro96Com software instead of UniTrunker directly with no physical modification to the scanner. It has the same functionality you were seeking in your OP and can be used to steer your 396T or 996T. I have done exactly this when visiting there.

Dewey

loumaag said:
Didn't notice the location when I commented earlier. However, in this case, you can use a Pro-96 or 2096 which can be found on the used market and when programmed with Win96 can be told to receive in the 700 MHz range (although they will not trunk track) and can use the Pro96Com software instead of UniTrunker directly with no physical modification to the scanner. It has the same functionality you were seeking in your OP and can be used to steer your 396T or 996T. I have done exactly this when visiting there.

Also make sure that the frequency spacing on the Pro-96 is right for your system since it's step sizes are hard coded. I can't use my tapped Pro-96 to track a P25 military base in my receiving range because the Pro-96's steps sizes are not correct in the 380s, so I can't tune the control channel.

Dewey

Status
Not open for further replies.