Simplex in NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrb6940

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone,

So after having a cleaning rod stuck in my old PRO 2040 for a year, I have finally climbed on the roof and installed a discone.

Now I can receive the entire conversation on my local PD's talk around channel (which is simplex).

In this age of trunked, digital and internet listening, does anyone monitor radios the "old fashioned" way? What simplex systems or agencies can you recommend?

I am in Mt Holly (Burlington County), so Im looking for Burlington/Camden County stuff and Im anxious to see if I can grag signals from Philly and such. I have 146.520 programmed in, but never hear anything! I gotta find a good 2m rig and stay with this antenna itch!

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

jrb6940

Premium Subscriber
Thanks DannB for the references.

I am looking more for what particular people are interested in listening to, in the simplex mode and why.

For instance, a tac channel that gives the inside scoop rather than just the dispatch or the fireground channel for the operational communications. Or a local simplex ham radio freq that is frequently used and only known to a few.

-Jeff

w2xq

Mentor
In this age of trunked, digital and internet listening, does anyone monitor radios the "old fashioned" way? What simplex systems or agencies can you recommend?

I am in Mt Holly (Burlington County), so Im looking for Burlington/Camden County stuff and Im anxious to see if I can grag signals from Philly and such. I have 146.520 programmed in, but never hear anything! I gotta find a good 2m rig and stay with this antenna itch!

Yes, many people listen the "old fashioned" way. Easier to do when mobile or out of power, as we were during Irene.

IMHO in this area you are making a mistake buying a 2m-only radio. A dual band dual receive transceiver is so much better. Re 146.520, put in the simplex 146.550 instead. There are more than a few hams from Phila, Bucks, some from Burlington, that never move off the frequency day or evening. A few 70cm repeaters are active, particularly W3BXW W3BXW : Bristol Emergency Amateur Radio System that has a linked system covering ePA, NJ, DE and nMD; also W3SBE in Phila. For sNJ/ePA repeaters one starting place now is the coordinating council arcc-inc.org, and I assume you've seen RR's announcement that a comprehensive listing of amateur radio repeaters is coming soon.

I'm directly under the approach for Mcguire AFB, and I hear 124.150 AM used as planes and helicopters head in. I must say when the the birds over the house and talk to approach the scanners jump off the table.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

jrb6940

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the feedback.

I live in Mt Holly so Im sure I would do fine on the air traffic too. Ive listened to the PHL approach freq, man they talk fast! Good stuff though.

I really want to get back into amateur radio amd I want to take a crack at HF. But honestly, its been so long Id have some reading to do. A 2m/440 rig would be a good start. If I remember correctly, 6m was dying out back then, is it still that way? 220?

I was listening to Steve, KB2RTZ last night on the BEARS net, man I havent talked with him in over 15 years and I still recognized his voice.

Thanks again for replying.

w2xq

Mentor
Thanks for the feedback.
I really want to get back into amateur radio amd I want to take a crack at HF. But honestly, its been so long Id have some reading to do. A 2m/440 rig would be a good start. If I remember correctly, 6m was dying out back then, is it still that way? 220?

Ok, to get back into ham radio I would recommend joining the About K2AA | K2AA: South Jersey Radio Association. The club should be able to help locate classes and does conduct exams once a month. And I assume you have looked at the American Radio Relay League | ARRL - The national association for AMATEUR RADIO website. Introducing EchoLink is another way to communicate around the world. Also note IMHO that individual ham radio pages vary in quality; some links have not been updated and some are expired. I'm reducing my Web site -- a work in progress -- as I believe old information is worse than no information.

The solar cycle affects the activity on 6m; bottom of the cycle = little activity. Do a search on amateur radio beacons and you will find sites that show band openings as the Es clouds move around. 220 repeaters are numerous but not that often used. There are 220 repeaters in Willingboro (WB2YGO) and Mount Laurel (KC2QVT) that you should have no trouble hearing. I'm not aware of any mobile radios that include 220, but a lot of HTs include the band as an afterthought (IMHO).

Hope this helps.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
I'm not aware of any mobile radios that include 220, but a lot of HTs include the band as an afterthought (IMHO)

Alinco makes a really good 50w monoband 220MHz mobile. Have one myself and it's a great rig.

Also getting back into ham radio, just remember, as a lot of hams forget, 146.52 is the National Simplex Calling frequency. It's a 'guard' channel. Shouldn't rag chew on it for too long, make your call and then swap to something like 146.55 or the like. :)

w2xq

Mentor
I misspoke. I am aware of the monobander 220 mobile radios. I was trying to say I can't think of any multi-band mobile radios that includes 220. As to the Philly area on 146.52 it was unusable as a calling/guard frequency for more than a decade. It's been maybe a decade now that the collective group got the hint and moved to 146.55.

Status
Not open for further replies.