Simplex repeater via computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

conve36

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to make a simplex repeater using computer software. I found a simplex repeater on ebay (link at bottom) and it seems like it shouldnt been hard using a computer instead. If all the unit on ebay does is have a "speaker in" jack coming from the radio when its recieving audio, recording the audio, and send it back out via the "audio out" jack and into the "mic in" jack on the radio. Can anyone relate to my thinking? Is there software out there somewhere for this situation? Thanks!

2 WAY RADIO VOICE RECODE SIMPLEX REPEATER CONTORLLER - eBay (item 250503556517 end time Jan-21-10 18:39:02 PST)

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
That would be really annoying to use. The delay between your transmission , a reply to your replay and the time it would take to record and transmit your reply, would confuse people badly.

The trick of it would be PL decoding or something similar, DCS maybe so that all transmissions aren't recorded and re-transmitted. You would have to figure out how only your signals would be recorded.

On simplex it would be rare that you could receive a station but they wouldn't hear you. The overall utility of this thing is a bit hard for me to figure out.

A cross band capable radio would be a lot more useful.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
There are some things you might want to consider when using this on Amateur frequencies:

In the FCC's eyes this isn't a repeater so It can't be operated under the rules that apply to repeaters such as automatic operation. (This is really a "store and forward" device.) That means there must be a control operator on duty when this device keys up your amateur radio transmitter. Kind of defeats the intended purpose of this device. Also the users would have to identify "it" along with their call.

The FCC rules apply whether you hook up a computer or "simplex repeater" to your ham radio.

BB

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The repeater controller does more than just route audio, it also generates keyline/PTT. It could have more options, which could be controlled via the input, or secondary receiver. (Following the FCC rules about such things.)

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If you Google "simplex repeater retail" you'll turn up all but the legal answers like station ID, for that you need a CWID module and another search.

For my 2c worth I wouldn't recommend it, lack of legitimate use and lots of abuse killed them years ago. Once upon a time we figured out the PL and had fun playing with a parrot... until it died. Another time while hilltopping I called out on the 2M simplex calling frequency 146.525 and heard my call weakly, I tried a few more times to raise the station and then realized "We have met the enemy and they is us." For what it's worth neither ever identified itself, ego boxes on the cheap blinding the owners to the rules and the one a major annoyance... on the calling frequency? EEESH!

LtDoc

Simplex repeaters are viable under certain conditions. They have their own protocol or procedures for use. Not following the correct procedures is guaranteed to cause more problems than the thing is worth. The idea has been around for quite some time and has been used with other modes, not just with voice. If they are used correctly they can certainly be useful. In general, they just are not as fast as a duplex repeater, are more trouble to use, and will almost certainly be abused.
ID'ing isn't a huge problem, merely add the station ID to the end of the recorded transmission, and no, it doesn't have to be in CW, voice works just dandy, or the normal ID used for whatever mode is in use.
Can it be done by computer? Yes it can, you don't need a 'stand-alone' device. That means that you either have to know how to program that computer or find an available program that already does it. I don't know of any but I'm sure there's one or two floating around.
Would I want one? Sorry, no, just too much trouble. Would I care if you put one in operation? If it didn't interfere with things I couldn't care less. Knock yourself out with it. Expect to have problems.
- 'Doc

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"...it doesn't have to be in CW, voice works just dandy..."

Actually MCW, a tiny module easy to install whereas voice gets just a bit complicated which is why I mentioned it.

"...find an available program that already does it. I don't know of any but I'm sure there's one or two floating around."

When I Googled as above to confirm what I was thinking of I turned up some software also.

"Expect to have problems."

> Once upon a time we figured out the PL and had fun playing with a parrot... until it died.
(.... ..)

rico47635

Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone has tried the Echostation software and what their opinions may be on it?????

I've used it, and it works well. What I used it for was to create my own cross band repeater with a scanner and a 2 meter radio. I used the scanner on 440 for receiving the transmissions from my dual band HT and the 2 meter radio to get into the local repeaters. I set the HT on a 440 frequency for transmit and the repeater's output for receive. That's how I cross banded until I got the money together to buy my TM-V71A.

Status
Not open for further replies.