Simplex system possibly struck by lightning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

conse

Where I work we work with a Motorola radio setup, we run on 154mhz band, and use Motorola base telephone transceivers, and CP200 handhelds when we're in the field. This past weekend, we think our system may have been struck by lightning. Our radios now have what I would describe as a "ghost" keyup. Every 1-2 minutes it sounds like someone is keyed up, but all we hear is dead air. If you attempt to broadcast out from the base, or the handhelds it sounds as if you're being walked on by that radio signal. It's powerful enough to sound as if it's coming from one of our base radios, given we're on a simplex system and I can hear it 3 miles away at my residence. The keyup varies in length (30 secs, to a minute), and from what we can tell, it seems to be getting worse.

As you can only imagine, it's making our work in the field dangerous, (no communication) and a whole lot harder (use of cell phones to be dispatched, and to check information). They had a repairman come out, but he has yet to find the problem. I figured SOMEONE in this forum may have a clue as to what is wrong, shoot me an email or just reply to the forum, any help is greatly appreciated, and welcomed.

Parking 177
Oklahoma State University Parking Enforcement

bezking

Turn all of the base radios off and see if the problem persists. If it is gone, turn them all back on ONE AT A TIME and see which one or ones cause the problem. Then you can work on getting the individual units repaired or replaced.

A repeater problem is ruled out because there is obviously no repeater.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Where I work we work with a Motorola radio setup, we run on 154mhz band, and use Motorola base telephone transceivers, and CP200 handhelds when we're in the field. This past weekend, we think our system may have been struck by lightning. Our radios now have what I would describe as a "ghost" keyup. Every 1-2 minutes it sounds like someone is keyed up, but all we hear is dead air. If you attempt to broadcast out from the base, or the handhelds it sounds as if you're being walked on by that radio signal. It's powerful enough to sound as if it's coming from one of our base radios, given we're on a simplex system and I can hear it 3 miles away at my residence. The keyup varies in length (30 secs, to a minute), and from what we can tell, it seems to be getting worse.

As you can only imagine, it's making our work in the field dangerous, (no communication) and a whole lot harder (use of cell phones to be dispatched, and to check information). They had a repairman come out, but he has yet to find the problem. I figured SOMEONE in this forum may have a clue as to what is wrong, shoot me an email or just reply to the forum, any help is greatly appreciated, and welcomed.

Parking 177
Oklahoma State University Parking Enforcement

That's exactly what's going on, on a BNSF railroad channel!!! So far listening to the radio i've heard no one complain about it. that line doesn't have that much activity so maybe no ones realized it. i think one of their base tower radios is acting up.

Eric Burris

SAR923

I think bezking is giving you the right troubleshooting steps, although the "repairman" should have already done this. If all the base radios are off, you should not hear this dead air signal on your HT's. If you do, you're getting interference from another system. I'm not sure what you mean by a base telephone transciever. Is the base station radio and antenna located in (and on) the dispatch center or is the transmitter remotely located and activated by telephone lines? It's certainly posible that a phone line could have taken a hit but the phone company should be able to tell if that's the issue. It's also possible that, if the phone line took a hit, something was blown in the final of the transmitter. Whatever the answer, it sounds like the university needs to get some better radio techs.

bezking

I think bezking is giving you the right troubleshooting steps, although the "repairman" should have already done this. If all the base radios are off, you should not hear this dead air signal on your HT's. If you do, you're getting interference from another system. I'm not sure what you mean by a base telephone transciever. Is the base station radio and antenna located in (and on) the dispatch center or is the transmitter remotely located and activated by telephone lines? It's certainly posible that a phone line could have taken a hit but the phone company should be able to tell if that's the issue. It's also possible that, if the phone line took a hit, something was blown in the final of the transmitter. Whatever the answer, it sounds like the university needs to get some better radio techs.

I think he means they are using those weird telephone things that hook up to certain moto base stations... Can't think of the name though.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
the phones would be known as an autopatch, phone patch, or PBX. Ham repeaters has those too. you can dial to connect to a phone line and call out with the radio thus making phone calls.

Blogger

I think this is what he was talking about... NOT a phone interconnect

Attachments

• 100243.jpg
    100243.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 112

conse

Thanks for your insight guys. I had to take the afternoon off, but I passed along your info, and I heard later on this afternoon they got the radios working... but they've said that before. But thanks for all the pointers!

KC0QNB

they are called tone remotes all are connected to the same base radio, my guess is there a problem with the system somewhere like an intermittent short. Is the radio service guy young or old? The reason I ask is not a lot of systems use them any more and if he is a younger guy, he may not understand the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.