Simulcast in the Wichita area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSPILOT536

Premium Subscriber
Did Sedgwick county do something to the WPD simulcast radio system,the reason I ask is I have a Uniden BCD996XT and I could never get a good scan..I would get a lock on a broadcast but hear nothing,garbled transmissions,the usual but after months of not turning the scanner on I used it the the other day and I am getting about 80% of the calls loud and clear with 20 to 40 on the error rates which is very readable,I wonder what happened?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Your scanner isn't designed for simulcast, and will never receive it well. You need a SDS or a Unication for simulcast, but the Unications only monitor one system.

peterjmag

Your scanner isn't designed for simulcast, and will never receive it well. You need a SDS or a Unication for simulcast, but the Unications only monitor one system.

That's not what the OP was talking about. He is reporting how the reception at his location has improved verses how it was in past due to the simulcast distortion.

KSPILOT536, Last I had heard they were in the process of changing out much of the system to genuine Motorola equipment from the old Cassidian equipment used in the past. Glad to hear its improving the distortion issues for you.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Simulcast reception issues have nothing to do with the brand of the transmitter. When they make power or phase adjustments between towers, it changes the location of "sweet spots" where conventional scanners work well. But there's zero guarantee the current situation will last if equipment is still being changed, adjusted, or configured.

KSPILOT536

Premium Subscriber
Simulcast reception issues have nothing to do with the brand of the transmitter. When they make power or phase adjustments between towers, it changes the location of "sweet spots" where conventional scanners work well. But there's zero guarantee the current situation will last if equipment is still being changed, adjusted, or configured.
Still working good!

KSPILOT536

Premium Subscriber
That's not what the OP was talking about. He is reporting how the reception at his location has improved verses how it was in past due to the simulcast distortion.

KSPILOT536, Last I had heard they were in the process of changing out much of the system to genuine Motorola equipment from the old Cassidian equipment used in the past. Glad to hear its improving the distortion issues for you.
Exactly

peterjmag

536, glad to hear it's working well for you. I lived at 21st and Amidon on the northwest side a few years ago and I remember how happy I was when I found that "sweet" spot. (y)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.