Simulcast Issues In Los Angeles

Status
Not open for further replies.

lls207

Premium Subscriber
5/18/2020
Monday

Hello:
I currently live in LA and I’m using a TRX-1. Simulcast is terrible.
Does anyone living in LA know of a better radio that would work here and cut down the simulcast somewhat?
I do not have an outdoor antenna and I would like to find a radio that doesn’t need external.
Thank you
LLS207

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Is this in reference to LAPD based on your post history? What frequencies are you monitoring and are you able to post a sample of what you are hearing?

I am not quite sure that you are encountering simulcast distortion as it is mostly a trunked radio system issue largely due to how the signal modulated. Conventional P25 does not use the same type of modulation that would typically cause simulcast distortion. Based on your previous post about how units seem to interrupt dispatch and listening to archived audio, LAPD appears to be setup so that radios in the field will interrupt the dispatcher and that might be what you are hearing.

You have also mentioned not wanting to get an outdoor antenna. Depending on your location, you may have poor reception of certain area dispatches if you are trying to monitor outside of your local area. It appears that the LAPD radio system is setup so that many of the dispatch frequencies provide coverage to certain geographic areas and not citywide. The only real solution for this is a better antenna setup or potentially a professional grade radio like a Unication as they excel at poor signal decode, but keep in mind that a radio that is better at poor signal decoding does not solve the root issue of receiving a poor signal. In the world of digital radios, a good signal is the key for good decode (although an exception exists for poorly designed scanners and trunked radio systems with simulcast sites that uses fancy math modulation schemes).

Last edited:

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Los Angeles conventional stuff has a lot of simulcast, not LSM simulcast, just plain old lots of antennas transmitting at the same time on a repeater frequency simulcast. For analog, this is that waverign sound you hear, for digital, it can just be higher eror on decode. LAFD is a good example of non simulcast anaog, vs like LACoSD which is analog simulcast. LAFD is much cleaner, even when the signal is very low, the signal doesn't warble or waver.

Paul

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
Simulcast trunked not good at all with the following scanners in the LA area that I've tested

PRO-106
PSR-500
PRO-18 modded to WS1080

Simulcast Trunked works excellent with SDS100 with stock antenna (sold scanner)**

** my main use for a digital scanner is LAPD mostly so SDS100 was overkill for me. Used to be different when ICI (Los Angeles area) was very active but now a days is less and less that is able to be monitored so it was time for my SDS100 to move on.

Last edited:

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
To the OP: What system(s) are you experiencing the simulcast issues on? Per the DB, LAPD is conventional P25? Shouldn't be any issues there unless I'm missing something. There are too many other systems listed for LA County for me to comb through them all

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
To the OP: What system(s) are you experiencing the simulcast issues on? Per the DB, LAPD is conventional P25? Shouldn't be any issues there unless I'm missing something. There are too many other systems listed for LA County for me to comb through them all

most likely Simulcast Trunked Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.