"Simulcast" issues with Uniden BCD996P2 radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

w1av

I was planning on finally getting a digital scanner till I read elsewhere on here about possible issues with simulcasts and this particular radio. I also don't know anyone else with a scanner. Would there be anyone here who would know how this radio handles simulcasts? I am not familiar with this subject.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
When it comes to simulcast systems the only scanners that will properly decode them and follow the conversations/talk groups are the SDS scanners - the SDS100 handheld, and the SDS200 base/mobile. You can try with other scanners, but you will miss a lot. You will have to endure garbled transmissions, silent gaps, and chop-chop noises that are very irritating. Do yourself a big favor and buy an SDS scanner, You won't regret it.

JD
kf4anc

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
get two 995P2's for the price of one SDS scanner.

Simulcast issues varies from person to person depending on who you talk to.

How the scanner is programmed also helps with simulcast issues.

scanmanmi

I was planning on finally getting a digital scanner till I read elsewhere on here about possible issues with simulcasts and this particular radio. I also don't know anyone else with a scanner. Would there be anyone here who would know how this radio handles simulcasts? I am not familiar with this subject.
I am going to be researching the "least bad" non-SDS simulcast scanner because of funding. So if anyone can chime in to help....

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
My Unication G5 handles RISCON without Issue. Only drawback is you can only listen to one of the three zones at a time

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
When it comes to simulcast systems the only scanners that will properly decode them and follow the conversations/talk groups are the SDS scanners - the SDS100 handheld, and the SDS200 base/mobile. You can try with other scanners, but you will miss a lot. You will have to endure garbled transmissions, silent gaps, and chop-chop noises that are very irritating. Do yourself a big favor and buy an SDS scanner, You won't regret it.

JD
kf4anc

I had a BCD996P2 and tried to use it on Ohio MARCS Simulcast. Too much distortion and too many missed transmissions for my liking. The only options for 100% receive ability are:

Unication G4/G5 - Cheaper but limited to one system

Uniden SDS100/200 - More expensive but a "true scanner"

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
My local PD has simulcast and I thought I had minimal problems with the 436 until I got the SDS100. It made a difference. I still use the 436 as a backup but there is a dramatic difference in the clarity of the 100 over the 436. If you want a true scanner, the SDS series is the only real solution.

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
Bob, I don't see any LSM trouble in the area. Seekonk is going to upgrade to a LSM system in the future. Your main concern will be RISCON . I think the 996P2 is a great scanner. They just had a S/W upgrade making the digital sound better. Good to see you took care of that antenna. I have a 996P2 file if you need one.

w1av

Bob, I don't see any LSM trouble in the area. Seekonk is going to upgrade to a LSM system in the future. Your main concern will be RISCON . I think the 996P2 is a great scanner. They just had a S/W upgrade making the digital sound better. Good to see you took care of that antenna. I have a 996P2 file if you need one.

Hi Nascar18.....thanks for the info. I was hoping people from my area would chime in. I am not far from Seekonk as the crow flies. If I had my wish I would get an SDS100 radio but can't justify spending that much right now. However it is not impossible seeing that my wife didn't complain when I discussed buying a Roland guitar synthesizer ($700) a few years ago! But she is a musician also. She is not a scanner fan though. Probably after the car repairs and summer vacations I will begin to bring up the subject of new scanner! But for the time being I was hoping to just order a new 996P2. Maybe I will wait to see if more people in our area comment.

BITT211

have radio shack pro 197 - receives simulcast great - buffalo ,ny area - buffalo pd / ecso - crystal clear -had to adjust the expert settings , rf sq fade, dg int prime and couple others , p25 / nac all active reads . also attic antenna hooked in , must have it a sweet spot.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I promise I'll stop bragging about how great my non-SDS scanners are handling simulcast in my area. Here is what I do want to say, Uniden and Whislter have sold untold number of scanners to be used for the reception of public safely communications using APCO P25 Phase 1 digital mode. Countless people have been buying/using them for years and years. I recall when the BCD*36HP models were introduce users were ecstatic over how well they worked. Again, untold thousands were sold and being used for years! Now all of a sudden the naysayers are saying they hardly work and some telling people they just don't work at all with simulcast period! What changed? I'm beginning to wonder if some of these people have actually owned one or they're just posting negativity for other reasons? How many were not programmed properly? How many users just became totally frustrated and never learned to program them or get them up and running to begin with?

I don't own a Uniden SDS series scanner so I'm in no position to judge it. There are numerous what I'll call 'professional users' here on RR who's opinions I trust and respect and it does indeed sound like the simulcast bug'a'boo has been defeated, and that's awesome! It's very possible I'll buy a SDS-200 in the future as it becomes debugged and perfected like all scanners seem to have to go though. The 996 & *36HP series both underwent those growing pains. I'm wonder if the majority of people that were not happy owned there's during those growing pains and would be surprised today at how well they work.

The only other way I can explain the differences of opinions is that scanners are not totally to blame. What if some of the radio techs in some of these troubled areas are not configuring sites as well as they could be? Hate to imply that, but like with anything else some are better than others. I know the some of the techs in Macomb County personally and they really know their stuff and that may explain the different results some people are experiencing.

To be clear I'm not telling everyone they won't have issues, but go to your state in the forum and try to get feedback from users in your immediate and surrounding areas. Then if possible buy from a source that allows returns if you're not satisfied, providing it's not a user missunderstand or error. Use your credit card for negotiating leverage. It's absolutely ludicrous for someone to spend that kind of money and be expected to keep it if it doesn't work. Who does that?

scanmanmi

my wife didn't complain when I discussed buying a Roland guitar synthesizer ($700) a few years ago!
I'm afraid that when I die my wife is going to sell stuff for what I told her I paid.
My Pro 197 is almost useless when I go into a simulcast area.

APX7500X2

I use my BCD996P2 all the time when in RI with no issues, I also use my BCD325P2 with great results on RISCON.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
It all depends on your Location Location Location when it comes to any other scanner besides SDS's and P25 digital simulcast reception. That and antenna type. The best way to receive a P25 simulcast system with a non-SDS scanner is with a directional yagi aimed at the site that is transmitting your preferred frequencies. Then, it can still be spotty depending on your exact (sweet) spot. It's hit or miss. The absolute best way is with one of the SDS scanners, hands down. I struggled with it for years and now have LSM Bliss :)

JD
kf4anc

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I promise I'll stop bragging about how great my non-SDS scanners are handling simulcast in my area. Here is what I do want to say, Uniden and Whislter have sold untold number of scanners to be used for the reception of public safely communications using APCO P25 Phase 1 digital mode. Countless people have been buying/using them for years and years. I recall when the BCD*36HP models were introduce users were ecstatic over how well they worked. Again, untold thousands were sold and being used for years! Now all of a sudden the naysayers are saying they hardly work and some telling people they just don't work at all with simulcast period! What changed? I'm beginning to wonder if some of these people have actually owned one or they're just posting negativity for other reasons? How many were not programmed properly? How many users just became totally frustrated and never learned to program them or get them up and running to begin with?

I don't own a Uniden SDS series scanner so I'm in no position to judge it. There are numerous what I'll call 'professional users' here on RR who's opinions I trust and respect and it does indeed sound like the simulcast bug'a'boo has been defeated, and that's awesome! It's very possible I'll buy a SDS-200 in the future as it becomes debugged and perfected like all scanners seem to have to go though. The 996 & *36HP series both underwent those growing pains. I'm wonder if the majority of people that were not happy owned there's during those growing pains and would be surprised today at how well they work.

The only other way I can explain the differences of opinions is that scanners are not totally to blame. What if some of the radio techs in some of these troubled areas are not configuring sites as well as they could be? Hate to imply that, but like with anything else some are better than others. I know the some of the techs in Macomb County personally and they really know their stuff and that may explain the different results some people are experiencing.

To be clear I'm not telling everyone they won't have issues, but go to your state in the forum and try to get feedback from users in your immediate and surrounding areas. Then if possible buy from a source that allows returns if you're not satisfied, providing it's not a user missunderstand or error. Use your credit card for negotiating leverage. It's absolutely ludicrous for someone to spend that kind of money and be expected to keep it if it doesn't work. Who does that?
I have owned many Uniden Scanners over many years. And I will say that sometimes you really don't know how bad your reception is until you get a better scanner. I used a 536 on the local Simulcast system and I thought it was doing fine. Then I actually got an SDS 100, ok the 536 wasn't all that great. I sold my older scanners, not because they were bad or defective. I sold them because I wanted SDS scanners and truth be told I needed the cash. I don't miss the 2 536s all that much. I really do miss the 996p2 or even the 996XT not so much the 996T. If I had all kinds of disposable cash I'd still have a collection of older models. So not everyone who says the SDS is best on Simulcast has never owned other scanners. Although I have never owned or never will own Whister scanners. Just my preference.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I have owned many Uniden Scanners over many years. And I will say that sometimes you really don't know how bad your reception is until you get a better scanner. I used a 536 on the local Simulcast system and I thought it was doing fine. Then I actually got an SDS 100, ok the 536 wasn't all that great. I sold my older scanners, not because they were bad or defective. I sold them because I wanted SDS scanners and truth be told I needed the cash. I don't miss the 2 536s all that much. I really do miss the 996p2 or even the 996XT not so much the 996T. If I had all kinds of disposable cash I'd still have a collection of older models. So not everyone who says the SDS is best on Simulcast has never owned other scanners. Although I have never owned or never will own Whister scanners. Just my preference.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

100% THIS! I thought my 996XT and PSR600 did fine on the RISCON system until I got my G5. I had the PSR600 and the G5 running on Providence fire at the same time and realized the PSR600 was only picking up 75-80% of the transmissions-this was with the PSR600 on an external antenna on my tower and the G5 on my desk in the basement. I also ran it in the car with the 996XT in Providence with the same results.

hummin24

Feed Provider
I am in in a bit of a unique situation in that I have both a Uniden Home Patrol 1 and a true RISCON 800 radio. I have done thousands of hours of R&D. But having the RISCON radio allows me to know when the scanner is missing transmissions. Of all the antennas (including mast mount at about 29') the best is by far the radio shack 800 bnc with a 90* L into the scanner. These scanners don't scan fast so....the more talk groups you have the higher the probability of missing what you want to hear. I limited mine to about 10. Location is everything. Once I set my scanner I try not to touch it for as long as possible. I swear you move .025 of an inch and you loose all transmissions. The unidens need a PERFECT signal but once they get it they work GREAT! I would say I receive 96% of all transmissions (that I want to hear) on South Zone. If I want to listen to the north I just hook up the coax to a 800 omni directional on the mast and get great reception of North Zone. Also you really need to hook these scanners up to a nice amplified speaker system. I have mine hooked up to a bose sound dock and it sounds fresh. Homepatrol.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.