Simulcast Needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalmediasvcs

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I admit my ignorance in scanning is near total, and I am in a near panic! I got my 396-XT working well, and so now I am considered to be the local "expert" on them. As if...

Anyways, i am in the middle of developing a new download for my scanner, and my friend's, and I am wondering of the need for the simulcasts. More often than not, i am catching radio transimissions that are not of any interest,a nd actually delay the scan back to frequencies that hold information that can be of actual use.

So the question is, can I just not include the simulcast frequencies in my programming? Will this affect the actual ability to hear transmissions? Will it cause the scanner to cease to function? Will it cause me to get audited by the IRS? ;-)

If I can, I'd love to delete them, but if needed, I'll need to be able to explain why.

Thanks!

JoeyC

The simulcast site is the site you want to be listening to, unless you are listening from a dead zone that has an fill in site - and then, you aren't going to hear anything unless there is a radio affiliated to it.

Because you said:

More often than not, i am catching radio transimissions that are not of any interest,a nd actually delay the scan back to frequencies that hold information that can be of actual use.
leads me to believe you don't have your scanner set up to trunk and/or do not have the talkgroups of interest programmed in - running in ID scan or closed mode - (whichever scanner you're using), but are listening to the frequencies conventionally.

digitalmediasvcs

Premium Subscriber
I didn't know about ID scan. I'll look into it. But the TG's are all DL'd from RadioReference. The TG's get shared amongst different agencies, though, and so I can't just delete the TG. It may be used by someone having a conversation in one time, and then used by the police 2 minutes later...

Any suggestions?

digitalmediasvcs

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I know I'm doing something wrong...

I have a BCD-396XT, and after re-reading the wiki links you gave me and the Uniden info again, there is something that is escaping me. I understand how the trunking works, and the networked trunking.

Uniden does not provide a programming tool for the 396XT, and so I am stuck using something from the internet, and unfortunately, the only one I have found that will work with a USB-enabled computer is the FreeScan software. bcTools requires a Serial port, which I haven't had in years, and I tried to manually program the scanner and nearly died in the attempt.

I'm in the Inland Empire (West side), and for example, when I grab the RR trunking list for Ontario PD, it also includes the ONT airport field ops and maintenance TG's. After running through the list, I cannot seem to identify which TG's are PD specific, as opposed to ONT-used. The only thing that is obvious to me is that the crap I don't want is on Simulcast, and the good stuff is on Primary.

I'm not looking to be able to monitor the PD from Long Beach, for example, but I do need to find a way to redact the ONT stuff. Perhaps there is a way we can talk out of the Forums? I can call, if you like, or give my info. My email is sales@digitalmediasvcs.com.

Thanks!

Scott

JoeyC

I don't have a 396xt (yet) but I am thinking of buying one. I am not familiar (yet) with FreeScan but I have downloaded it. If you send me a copy of your programming file made with FreeScan I will look at it and see what I can make of it - until someone else comes along with better information.
To send copy, change the filename extension of your programming file to a .zip file and attach it here.

Also what system are you trying to import? According to the DB, Ontario CA is on SB site 09, which only has one site labeled Aerojet here.

Last edited:

digitalmediasvcs

Premium Subscriber
File Attched

Here is the zip file. Please feel free to review and comment. I welcome any advice I can get!

I also have the newer version I am working on, which covers a greater area of SoCal area, and the decsions about Simulcast are what are going to tell me what to be doing.

Doubtless I am doing something wrong, but I'll be darned if I know what it is!

Thanks again for your looking at it!

Scott

Attachments

JoeyC

Looking at FreeScan and the way the 396 organization of talkgroups/systems etc is sure different from the old 796 way and what I am used to in the GREs. But here are my observations so far without having used this radio, and not living in SB county to know what talkgroups are actually carried on which systems.

For the SB county systems:

1. The Site you have marked as PRIMARY is actually system 09 and the site you have listed as Simulcast is system 06/07 - THESE ARE SEPARATE SYSTEMS, COVER DIFFERENT AGENCIES AND MUST BE TREATED AS SUCH

2. All of the talkgroups you have listed under each respective site are not necessarily listed in the RR database. For instance you have Ont PD listed under the 06/07 site and the RR database says its on the 09 system. Unless it is simulcasted on the 06/07 site you won't hear a thing on those.

3. You have 06/07 system fire talkgroups labeled 6-Fire-x (e.g) in the 09 system. Some if not all of these TGIDs are on the 09 system tagged but because you have them tagged with the 06/07 labels they may not be correct because the 09 system tags are different than the 06/07 site.

4. You have ALL the freqs for each system listed where you only really need the 4 in red (controls) This is not necessarily a problem though.

On the Riverside system. You have one system (West) programmed, but a couple of central system talkgroups added that RR doesn't list as being in the West system.

On what you are calling Corona. You have that set up as a trunked site. It looks like only conventional channels in the database. Not sure how that will work in this radio. However, you also have a conventional setup for Corona PD and Fire.

Recommendations:

1. Clean up the programming file.
2. Only put talkgroups associated with a system in the system group.
3. Every one of your trunking systems has the option ID SEARCH checked instead of ID SCAN. If this works the way I THINK it does, you are going to be hearing the dogcatcher and street cleaners regardless of whether you have those talkgroups programmed because of this. Change this to ID SCAN and I expect you will only hear those TGIDs (correctly) programmed for the sites in question.

AGAIN, NOT HAVING USED THIS SCANNER OR SOFTWARE, THIS IS ONLY MY EDUCATED GUESS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.